57. A Monster

Yonsu continued to mutter under his breath. The dragon and sword of moonlight. 

"The prophecy... it wasn't about the Kardos and Lyrell families... it was about the two of you."

A madness was seeping into his bones. It clawed at him as he tried to remember things of the past.

Oliver didn't wait until he became lucid and attacked, backing him away from Draco. Yonsu stepped back to avoid the blade, and Oliver rushed towards Draco's spear that was embedded into the ground. With a quick kick, the spear flew to Draco, and he caught it with ease. 

They both rushed forward after their prey, not giving him time to relax. They showed a tacit understanding as they fought, pushing Yonsu back even further. Oliver struck toward Yonsu's stomach while Oliver thrust his spear at Yonsu's head.

Yonsu dodged the two attacks, but Oliver's blades caught him in the side. Draco's spear flew past Yonsu's head, but Draco followed it. When he was close enough, he let go of his spear and swiped his claws toward Yonsu's throat.  

Yonsu fell back with a groan. He lifted his hands to his throat and felt the blood pulsing out. His eyes turned red with anger and condensed his magic.

Both men felt a foreboding stir in the air. They both stepped back as Yonsu embedded magic into his sword. They could sense the blade's power as if it became unbearably heavy.

Yonsu launched himself toward Oliver at an unbelievable speed. Oliver had used too much of his energy and did not think he could dodge the attack and win. He erected a shield of ice, but even he knew it was weak. 

Yonsu's sword shattered the ice. Draco launched his spear at Yonsu, and it pierced into his shoulder to slow his attack.

Oliver yelled and used both of his blades to divert the attack. Oliver groaned from the impact, and his swords creaked. However, it was just enough to redirect the sword. It cut deeply into the ground instead. 

Yonsu fell to the ground. He pushed himself up and retreated a few meters as he pulled out the spear from his shoulder. However, Oliver's attention wasn't on him. He was looking at his uncle's swords, the ones who accompanied him for decades, had finally shattered. 

Oliver felt his heart shake as if he had lost a dear friend. However, his eyes turned venomous as he drew his gaze to Yonsu. "You'll pay for this," Oliver said through gritted teeth.

Yonsu laughed and showed Oliver his large sword. It was cracked and about to fall apart. Blood dripped from the hilt because the impact was too much for his palms. He tossed the sword on the ground and spat at it.

"You've become stronger than before. I think... it's a little scrambled up here." Yonsu placed a hand over his temple and tapped his head lightly. "Pictures of what is or was flicker through my mind. It's simply maddening."

Oliver glared. So he did remember a little. But perhaps it was a little out of order.

Yonsu chuckled, his fingernails scraped across his scalp. "Some things I remember clear as day. How you lead an army. How you wore a necklace... how you were so compliant. So willing to die... What happened to the ghost I trained? Why couldn't you die like last time?"

Oliver guarded himself against Yonsu, whose eyes were shifting between clarity and mania. He seemed to be teetering on the edge of insanity. Were the memories too much? He didn't know what was worse, a cunning enemy or an unhinged one.

"It's harder to beat someone who is not chained up in a cage," Oliver said quietly, stepping closer to Draco. "Besides, did you think I would be content with dying how you deemed fit?"