30. A Vision

A week passed since Oliver's collapse, but he kept himself isolated, catching up on his paperwork.  Ian would come in and report to him during this time, advising him of the changes in the guards and the state of the villages within Wynter.  Luckily, things were peaceful, and the Ravagers were hibernating in the caves.

Oliver was sitting in the study and looking over papers while Draco had taken up his usual spot on the couch and flipped through books. Timothy knocked on the door and entered the room with several documents. 

"Lord Oliver, you have received a couple of letters," Timothy said with a bow. "As did you, Sir Draco."  He handed the men their letters.

Oliver looked at the one with a raven seal and opened it. She had been kind enough to keep him updated about the ongoings of the capital. He had shifted through enough rumors about himself. Some people claimed that he went mad and was locked away up north. Others speak of him conspiring to break the engagement so he can become Guardian like his uncle. There were also darker tales, including Oliver plotting to overthrow the Belelots.

But Oliver had to chuckle about the last one because he was eventually seeking to rip the throne away from Piers. 

When he read the contents of the letter, his hand trembled. Ella had confirmed the whereabouts of the elusive treaty. It was in the palace; however, no one was able to obtain additional clues about the exact location.

But this didn't damper his mood. The treaty existed. It was real. 

He released a long breath.  He didn't expect they would find the treaty easily. 

He looked out the window and determined that winter would end soon.  If he recalled correctly, the king would die soon, and Piers would take the throne.  He would probably be called back to the capital for Piers' crowning ceremony, so he would have an opportunity to search on his own.

He tapped his desk, trying to disguise his excitement. "Max, Morris," he called out.

The office door opened, and the two men stepped in, embarrassed that they were caught.

"Boss, we were just standing guard, not spying." Morris was hasty with his words.

Oliver waived his hand.  He held the letter over a candle and let it burn to ash. "If the Belelots wish to hide something damning document from someone, where would he hide it?"

He figured the two assassins of the palace would know.

The brothers exchanged a glance, and Marc spoke. "Depends. If it were Piers, it would have it in his room. He has a secret drawer in his desk where he keeps his blackmail documents."

Oliver raised an eyebrow. "And his father?"

"Treasury. Not the main one that everyone knows. There is a hidden treasury hidden in the walls."

Oliver chuckled. "Yes, I know that treasury." He had studied everything he could about the palace, which was stored in the royal library, including the hidden blueprints that no one knew about. "There should be a key for that."

Max nodded. "A strange key. It's more like a golden stamp with a phoenix carved into it. The King never takes it off his body."

Oliver tapped the table again while he was contemplating his next moves. "But when the King is dead, Piers will take this key. Knowing his habits, he would leave it on his desk."

"Doesn't he like keeping his keys close to his chest?" Draco asked from the couch.

Oliver chuckled. "He probably doesn't know what that treasury contains, and he will be hasty in taking the throne. His carelessness and ignorance will be helpful."