2. A Ghost's Request

When Oliver revealed his exhaustion, the men in the room stiffened with surprise. They knew that Oliver had been fighting this war longer than anyone else. As Savvi implied, they all believed that he enjoyed the thrill of the fight. But now, there seemed to be more of the story. Only Draco seemed unsurprised.

Draco turned toward his advisor and wrote a few words.

His advisor nodded. "General Draco asked if this is why you gave such obvious openings when you two fought?"

The atmosphere turned heavy as all eyes turned toward him. Oliver smiled sadly. "Draco, you were too soft-hearted to take advantage of it."

He looked fondly at the perplexed and conflicting gazes of his opponents. They truly were friends on the battlefield. They respected each other and found pleasure in meetings like this. If they were living another life, they would have been fast friends. He can only hope that they can help him find some rest.

Oliver paused, and his eyes remained on Draco's figure. "My punishment was to die in war... but I'm stubborn and continued to survive. But the king's little spy was right; I'm just his dog... and as the old saying goes, you boil the hound once the rabbit is caught."

"What do you mean? Are you implying that Bierze's king no longer finds his most accomplished General useful?" Savvi asked.

Oliver shrugged. "Whatever he was after, he is close to gaining it; therefore, I am dispensable."

"King Piers is an asshole. He's not worthy of following." Gallio seethed. "How can you follow a man who orchestrated the burning of Abrorgs' Fae Fields, destroyed our holy relics, and desecrated Rucrea's Dragon Cenotaphs?"

"The old treaty between the Kardoses and Belelots is binding... however, my hands are tied even if that wasn't in effect," Oliver said softly.

Draco wrote something down, and his advisor paled as he read it out loud. "General Draco said treaties are just words on parchment, and no one has seen this document that enslaves your family. Do you trust this exists?"

Oliver's eyes widened for a moment. This was an ancient treaty that his family had blindly accepted, forcing them to serve under the Belelots as the leader of their armies. He had questioned the validity of this document countless times and was tempted to break it. However, he was reluctant to bring more shame to his family. Their lack of response proved that they held no love for him. Still, he couldn't bear to harm them more than he already had.

Nonetheless, ancient pledges were meaningless to Oliver in this discussion. "Even if it didn't exist, my obligation still stands."

"You're powerful. Why couldn't you just stand up to him?" Savvi asked.

Gallio scoffed. "Or, hell, abandon him. Any one of our nations will accept you."

"I have inherited my Uncle's title... I am not only a General but also the Guardian. How can I do such a thing?" Oliver said quietly.

"The actual title is Guardian of the Realms, not just Bierze. You have the option to turn your blade against Bierze when they threaten all the realms." Savvi said quietly.

Quincey clicked his tongue and stepped forward. "His younger brother sits on the throne. If he disobeys the King, Royal Consort Ewen will die a miserable death."

Oliver gave him a bone-chilling glare. "Quincey." He warned again.

"Don't give me that look, Oli. They deserve to know the truth." Quincey retorted.

Oliver hated that he inwardly agreed with Quincey. He admired these men, and as shameful as his past was, they should know the truth of this war.

Gallio bit his lip, trying to conceal his pity. They had wondered about Oliver's motivations, but this was too much. War was his punishment. "Can't you save him?" He asked.