39. A Motive

A stillness blanketed the council room with Oliver's declaration. He had every intention to kill Piers with no remorse. 

However, the one who had trouble grappling with his emotions the most was Draco. He had felt like he was a spectator within his visions, believing wholeheartedly that these dreams were prophecies of the future. This is why he and his council spoke of the war in the future tense. 

However, Oliver phrased everything in the past tense.

Draco's heart trembled when he considered the possibilities. What if this wasn't the future at all?

The rest of the room was stunned into awkward silence. Those who doubted Oliver before could not bear to refute him, and the military men who respected him revered him more.

Oliver looked up at Aris. "I understand why everyone is focused on the war, but this is not a path I wish to tread. The long war can be and should be avoided at all costs."

Draco nodded. "I agree. To do so, we first need to understand the Belelot's motives."

"Did you ever find out why the war was started in the first place?" Oliver wondered if the other kingdoms had discovered the war's truth.

"No. I only know that the Tuahs will say something that provokes the Belelots. In retaliation, Bierze will burn the Fae Fields and ignite the war. For each kingdom that joins afterward, it is the same story."

"Isn't it odd that one kingdom would provoke three?"

"I assume that Piers has a lot of confidence in you." Phoibe contemplated. 

However, the council had thought it suspicious that a kingdom not famed for its strength would rebel against warrior nations like Rucrea and Arborg.

Oliver laughed and shook his head. "No. As I said, my punishment was to be at the frontlines of battle. I was meant to die early, but my perseverance was unexpected."

"Then what could be the Belelot's motive?" Aris asked. "I can't think of anything."

"For power." Oliver wrapped his hand around his necklace. "Power to make everyone bow in front of him."

"But putting your kingdom through a war for three decades cannot establish any power," Aris argued.

Oliver leaned back in his chair. "No... You can only wish for that type of power."

Aris stood up suddenly, toppling his chair over. "Wish? Hells... when those bastards imprisoned me, Prince Piers kept asking me about that old myth... the Anima Wish."

There was an outcry from the others, who argued that this was merely a myth, an old story to protect the seal of magic.

"But the great dragon, Anima, sealed all magic into her heart and then broke it into pieces... to gather them would be impossible," Phoibe said.

"There are supposed to be five pieces, one for each great family, but the final piece is a mystery," Aris muttered. "But who has the knowledge to find all the pieces?"

Oliver nodded and spoke quietly. "They will be located eventually by those who are desperate for them... even the piece that is supposed to be in the Dragon Cenotaphs."

"Our piece is not there," Draco said. "We only claim it is, but the real one is hidden away."

"Gods and hells...So that's how he switched it out." Oliver covered his face for a moment, a smile heavy with schadenfreude stretched across his face.  

"What do you mean?"

Oliver bit back a wry laugh. "Piers has been in bed with the Ravagers for a while. Piers distracts with a war, and the Ravagers plunder the other kingdoms for their Anima shards... but they were never going to let Piers collect all the pieces.  When the Ravagers attacked Rucrea, the Ravager King kept the real piece for himself and gave Piers the fake one from the Cenotaphs."