23. A Welcome Home

Magic had faded to be a distant memory since the Eternal War. Only the priests of Osmela have had some understanding of it; however, it was significantly weaker than in ancient times. All that was truly left were stories that had turned into mythology.

Humans had tried to control magic, twisting it to their desire. Thus, the Kirith Empire was born from their greed. Centuries later, it fell also because of their greed, and then magic was sealed by the dragons.

It was an indisputable fact that dragons were the true rulers of magic. 

The Kardos' history was not intertwined with magic, but they knew how to combat it. Normal swords would break over time when confronting magic, so they partnered with the northern dragon tribes and wielded swords of dragon bone and fangs. 

When the Anima Wish was granted and time turned back, magic seeped into the world and changed it. Anima gifted him her heart to give Oliver an advantage in this new world.

As Oliver touched the frost that was slowly dissipating on the Ravager corpses. He was unsure at first if this was his doing, but when his fingers made contact with the cold magic, he knew it originated from him.

Oliver pressed his hand over his heart and felt the powerful beats. The Kardos family had no talent for magic, so it was impossible that this was a power hidden within his bloodline. This magic was born from the dragon's heart.

"Oliver, are you injured?" James had approached Oliver as he was lost in his thoughts.

Oliver stood up and shook himself from his thoughts. He had no idea how to use magic proactively, so there was no reason to concern himself with it now.

He ignored James' question and looked back at the tired soldiers. He raised his voice so the others could hear him. "Whoever is capable, help the villagers with the fire. The injured, stay back for treatment."

He patted James on the shoulder, silently telling him it was time to get back to work. James took off with a helpless look.

He noticed that the Glacier Thunder horse was still standing in the same place. These horses have fierce temperaments. Not many could approach them. He wanted to claim the horse immediately but turned to the fire instead and helped the others.

A full night passed, and the village finally fell silent. The children were clustered in an unharmed barn and piled in with blankets. The adults were worn and exhausted.

Oliver also felt weary but refused to rest. Instead, he built a campfire and started working on a simple meal that could feed many. He sat numbly as he stirred a bland stew and paused when Sarah came to sit next to him.

"Sampson has been detained." She said and pointed to the miserable-looking man.

"Good job."

"How did you know that I would be capable of bringing him back?"

"You hide yourself well, but some of your habits hint that you're not an ordinary maid." He said with a smile.

"Does this upset you?" She knew some men would detest having someone with her skills hidden in their midsts.

However, Oliver shook his head. "Not in the least. I'm relieved to have a strong ally."

He handed her the spoon for the stew. "Do you mind?"

She shook her head and took over cooking. Oliver returned to the large white Glacier Tundra stallion standing passively to the side. It watched Oliver the entire time he was helping the villagers.

Several men had approached it before, but the stallion would become aggressive, so they left it alone. However, when Oliver came, it turned docile and lowered its head.