Chapter 33

The end of January came quickly, James waking up on the 30th more excited than most students in the school. He slipped out of bed quietly, trying his best
not to disturb Lily, as she had stayed up late to finish a charms essay that was due on Monday. He scribbled a quick note to Lily, then headed down to the kitchen. James looked around for a moment, then reached up to tickle the pair on the portrait, which then swung open.

"Master James, it is good to see you." A tiny house elf said, bounding up to him.

"It is good to see you again, Dappy." James said, patting the little elf on the head. "I came down for a little request."

"Anything to help you Master James." The little elf beamed.

"I was hoping to see if you guys could help me with a little birthday party tonight for Lily." James said.

"For Mistress Lily, of course." Dappy clapped excitedly. "You gives us a list, and we'll make everything."

"Thank you very much." James said, and he withdrew a piece of parchment from his pants pocket. "If I don't come down, I'll have one of my friends come down and tell you when and where to bring the food."

"Understood Master James." Dappy said. "Wish Mistress Lily a happy birthday from us all."

"I definitely will." James said with a huge grin on his face as he left. He made his way back to his dorm, wondering if Lily was awake yet.

"Quidditch." James said to the portrait, thinking about how to keep Lily busy to allow the girls to decorate the room. He smiled as he saw that ever familar auburn haired woman laying down on her stomach, a book out in front of her. James smiled as he tried his best to sneak towards her.

"I know you're back, James." Lily said without looking up. James' smile widened, then hurled himself upon Lily.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABE!!!!!!" James exclaimed as he tried to wrap his arms around her.

"Thank you, now get up." Lily managed to say, trying to breath with all of James' weight on top of her. James got up, then picked Lily up and layed her on his lap, Lily unable to stop herself from bursting with laughter.

"So, what does the birthday girl want?" James asked after kissing her on her forehead.

"Breakfast." Lily laughed.

"You want to go down or you want me to make it?" James asked.

"We can go down and see everyone." Lily said. "Just have to get dressed."

"Well, let's go get dressed then." James said, picking up Lily and carrying her back up stairs.

Less than an hour later, James and Lily joined the rest of their friends around the Gryffindor table for breakfast.

"Happy birthday!!" The girls and Sirius shrieked, a huge smile appearing and Lily's face.

"Thank you." She beamed back.

"What does the birthday girl want for her birthday?" Marlene asked.

"Well, I would like to have a nice relaxing day, would like to finish the very end of my charms essay that I didn't get to last night. Assuming that you'll throw me a little party, given the Marauders reputation for them."

"Little and Marauders don't go together, except for Sirius' height." James said ducking a smack from Sirius.

"Definitely not little with you." Lily said with a wink. Marlene looked proud, Dorcas smiled, James had that devilish grin, and everyone else groaned.

"I never thought I'd hear Lily Evans make that joke." Alice said, looking shocked.

"James Potter is turning our sweet, innocent Lily into Marlene." Mary said.