Chapter 87: One More Lap

(1138) Words

(Layla's POV)

I was asleep. Then something jumped on my feet and I was up. No way I'm going back to sleep now. It's at that weird time in the morning, where if you get up, there is no getting back to sleep. I opened my eyes to see Toretto still holding me in his arms. The thing I felt on my foot was Lucy. She thought it was a good time to hop up on our bed, or more accurately... my feet. Toretto's head was on top of mine, with his arms around my back. Holding me like I was a stuffed animal. I turned a little bit to face the clock. 6:22... I slowly crawled out of Toretto's arms, somehow not waking him up. I whispered to Lucy from the door.

Layla- Come on Lucy...

She followed me out of the room and downstairs to the kitchen. I made a cup of coffee because, ya know... life. I fed Lucy and started making some eggs for me and Toretto. When I was about to set the plates on the table, Toretto walked down looking tired as ever.

Tony- Ugh...

Layla- Mornings... am I right?

Tony- Yea... mornings suck!

Layla- Especially when the dog wakes you up!

Tony- Right. Did you make food?

Layla- Yea. Got bored...

Tony- Thank you!

Layla- Course. There is coffee over there if you want it.

Tony- YES!

Layla- Settle! Jeez! You and coffee are like a little kid with sugar.

Tony- Well... Coffee means life!

Layla- I just said that...

Tony- When?

Layla- To myself... earlier.

Tony- Oh... well I'm gonna eat the food you made... sooo

Layla- Yea, we should eat before it gets cold!

We sat down at the counter on the bar stools. Once we finished, we got dressed and grabbed our keys to go on our normal morning race. Lucy followed us out to the garage and when I opened my car door, she hopped right in and into the passenger seat.

Layla- You comin?

Lucy just looked at me.

Tony- Why not!?

Layla- Alright! You can come with us.

I opened the garage door and we both pulled out. We took off down the road and headed towards our normal racing spot.

Tony- How far?

Layla- One loop.  Around the normal area.

Tony- Alright. Ready?

Layla- Set?

Both- Go!

We took off right next to each other.  We raced down the river bank, up the side, and towards the city. We drove down a few streets, weaving in and out of lanes. Took a few turns, making a big loop around the whole city. We started to get into the final stretch, on our way right back to where we started. We jumped our cars down the small hill into the river area. It doesn't have water in it half the time. It only fills up when it rains, which doesn't happen very often. Making this place a great spot for racing. Most of the time, there are a few puddles or nothing at all.

Tony- It's gonna be a close one!

Layla- It's always a close one!

We flew past the spray paint line and hit the brakes, squealing to a stop. Our doors flung open as we ran to each other to see if either knew who won.

Layla- Any clue?

Tony- Nope.

Layla- I wonder if the cameras on our cars could tell.

Tony- Oh let's check!

Lucy hopped in the back of my car and Toretto sat in the passenger seat. I turned on the screen and went to the cameras.  The recent recording showed the front of our cars crossing the line at the exact same time!

Tony- Really?!

Layla- Are you kiddin me?!

Tony- Why does this always happen!?

Layla- I don't know! It's annoyin!

We both got out and sat on the hood of my car. Lucy followed us and hopped up into my lap, instead of sitting directly on the car.

Tony- It is kinda nice down here though.

Layla- Yea! I love this place! For racing and even just to hang out down here.

Tony- Except when it's full of water and DANN is trying to kill all of us!

Layla- Right. That's not the greatest memory. But we have so many better memories here!

Tony- Like our first race down here.

Layla- And all the missions we've gone on down here.

Tony- You know... this could be a good place for our wedding!

Layla- Yea! I mean there is so much history here! And the whole idea of the date we picked was to be able to remember a special day from our past!

Tony- It wouldn't be the most beautiful and elegant wedding...

Layla- But it would match the kind of wedding we want. I don't want a big fancy wedding. I just want to get married in front of our family and friends.

Tony- I don't want a big wedding either. Mostly cause there is no way we could pay for it... but if it was somewhere like here, there wouldn't be anything that would cost thousands of dollars! We just need some chairs and an aisle.

Layla- Can you picture it? Cause I can.

Tony- Yea. It isn't big or crazy... but it's us. And that's all we need.

Layla- It's all we could want.

Tony- How about you Lucy? Can you see it?

Lucy perked her head up at the sound of her name. She had no idea what we were talking about, but she enjoyed the company and attention.

Layla- I bet she has no clue what the heck we're talkin about!

Tony- No! She's super smart!

Layla- Smarter than you?

Tony- Well... no, she's a dog!

Layla- Sometimes I wonder if you are too.

Tony- What!?

Layla- I'm just kidding, Baby.

I put my hand on top of his. He turned is right side up and held mine tight. I leaned over and kissed him. When we pulled apart, there was a single strand of hair hanging out of my messy bun. He slowly pushed it behind my ear and kept his hand there on my cheek. We put our foreheads together, with the tips of our noses slightly touching.

Tony- I love talking about our wedding.

Layla- I love you.

Tony- I love you mostest.

I laughed and gave him one last kiss before getting Lucy off my lap and sliding off the hood of the car. We each went into our separate cars and started the engines a few seconds apart. I looked over at him and he smiled back.

Layla- One more lap before we head home?

Tony- You're on!

And we took off about to race the whole lap around the city again, hoping there would be anything but a tie this time.