Chapter 71: Time Machine Trouble

(1098) Words

(Layla's POV)

As soon as the race started, I felt like nothing had changed. The excitement, the thrill, the fear, the fun! It all came rushing back. The competition was nowhere close to beating me. As I crossed the finish line, I thought about the first race with Toretto. Oh, how I miss that feeling when we would tie! It was annoying but I still love it. I love racing him. I need to get him back so we can start racing together again. After everyone else finished, Ryan came over to congratulate me.

Ryan- You were amazing out there.

Layla- Thanks! I missed this. The racing, I mean.

Ryan- It's always so exciting.

I saw one of Dakar's men collecting the money and they started to walk over toward me.

Layla- Sorry. I gotta go. Nice race.

I held out my hand and he shook it.

Layla- See ya. Princess.

The guard got up to me with a very serious look on his face.

Guard- Give me the keys and get in the car.

Layla- What?

Guard- You heard me!

I tossed him the keys to my car.

Layla- Why can't I drive myself?

Guard- Dakar doesn't trust you.

Layla- And I don't trust him.

Guard- Get in the car!

Layla- Fine!

I got in the backseat of the car and he drove me back to the hideout. When we got there, the guard opened my door, grabbed my arm, and threw me on the floor. The rest of the crew came over to us. Echo tried to start a fight with him, but Cisco held her back. Frostee helped me up to see a bleeding scrape above my eyebrow.

Frostee- Ouch. That looks like it hurts.

Layla- I'll be fine.

After I got my head cleaned up, Frostee gave us a rundown of the time machine.

Frostee- So... I can fix it. But we don't want Dakar to have a working time machine once Tony gets back. Plus I can't get my hands on it once he has it.

Layla- So what are you thinking?

Frostee- I could set it to self-destruct after a certain amount of time. And I'll destroy all the blueprints so he can't rebuild it.

Layla- And what happens to Toretto if he doesn't get back in time?

Frostee- Then he and whoever goes after him are stuck until I can build a new one from scratch.

Echo- Wait. Someone has to go and get him?

Frostee- It's the only way. I can't get someone without a time flex band. I'll send someone and they give him a time flex band. It will hook him up to my end and I can bring him back too.

Ms. Nowhere- So how long is this going to take?

Frostee- A week. At least.

Layla- Alright. I'll let Toretto know what's gonna happen.

I walked off to a somewhat private spot and called Toretto from my ring.

Tony- Hey!

Layla- Hi.