Chapter 29: Eighteenth pt. 2

We walk out into our shared yard and see some of the Santos and all my friends. Even my friends parents came to stop by. They're parents are like my parents. The parents I never had. They've always treated me like their own child. I've stayed with them all at some point in my life when home got tough with all the gang shit. I am forever grateful to them and I appreciate all they've done. And it just made my day even better now they've stopped by.

The first to come up to me is Dwayne and Grace. The two I probably stayed with the most.

"Happy birthday!" They cheer loudly as they come over and give me a huge hug.

"We got you something, it's over on the gift table." Says Dwayne pointing over to a table with many gifts placed on top.

"Thank you guys so much and thank you for coming. I really appreciate it and everything you both have done for me." A smile.

"Of course honey, if you ever need anything you know here to find us." Smiles Grace. "And congratulations on your pregnancy, I know you'll be a great mom." She winks before she and Dwayne go to join the party.

Genny and Ruben make their way over with Monses dad Monty.

"Happy birthday Jamila!" Says Ruben and Monty, while Genny says "Happy birthday preciosa." [gorgeous]

"Thank you for coming! It really means a lot to me." I say before giving them each a hug.

"Yeah of course we'd be here. It's your 18th!" Says Genny. "But we'd have to leave early to get the twins home."

"I have to head home soon. I leave in the morning and I'll be back on the road." Smiles Monty.

"Yeah that's okay, I understand. Just you guys showing up, even if it's for a little bit is what matters and that's all I need." I smile.

"You are such a lovely girl." Reply's Genny giving me another hug.

"Oh! We heard you're having a baby!" Says Ruben with a wide smile.

"Yes Monse mentioned that. I know you're a smart girl and very capable, so I know you'll be a great mom." Says Monty giving me a reassuring smile.

"And you can handle the twins, so there's no doubt that you will be exceptional." Says Genny.

"Thank you so much, for the support. It's really comforting." I say as I feel really emotional again.
I look up briefly to try stop the tears. "Sorry, I'm so emotional and I don't want to ruin my makeup." I chuckle as the three laugh with me.

"Well, go join your party now." Ushers Monty.

"Thank you all again for stopping by, you've made this day so much more special." I smile before bidding goodbyes.

As I make my way to Daniela I'm stopped by Mario.

"Mario! Hey!" I say excitedly as I give him a hug. "What are you doing here?" I ask. Last I heard he went to the city for some sort of job.

"I couldn't miss your 18th." He smiles as we pull apart.

"Thank you so much for coming." I smile back.

"Of course. You're practically like my little sister." He says about to scruff up my hair before stopping himself. "Shit probably shouldn't do that, looks like you had it styled." He laughs.

"Yeah Daniela payed for it to be styled." I laugh.

"Habit." He shrugs with a sheepish smile. "Is Daniela here?" He asks.

"Yeah, she's over there." I say pointing in her direction.

"Great, I need to talk to her. But hey, happy birthday Mila." He smiles, giving me another quick hug before walking off to Danny.