Chapter 20: Goodbye

I've been stressed tf out. I haven't heard from Cesar since last night. I tried using alcohol and weed to calm myself, but it didn't work. All it did was make me feel sick when I woke up.

I've tried telling Oscar and Antonio about Cesar, but they aren't listening. Stupid putos.

Even with my lack of sleep I'm still going to school. I need to talk to the gang about this and I really need to get out of the house. I grab the first thing I see from my drawers, which turns out to be a long sleeved shirt and black leggings.

I get in the shower to try and stop myself from feeling so sick and also to wake myself.

After a shower and getting dressed, I don't bother with my hair or makeup and just walk straight into my bedroom. Putting on my shoes and grabbing a bag, I walk out of my room and make my way outside.

"Where are you going?" Asks Antonio who was walking up the steps to come inside.

"School." I answer before trying to walk past him.

"No you don't." He says grabbing my arm.

"I'm going!" I retort as I yank my arm out of his grip.

"Jamila it's too dangerous." Reasons Antonio.

"Well I don't give a damn Antonio." I say crossing my arms.

"Jamila-" He starts.

"No." I say cutting him off. "Y'all have kept me locked up in that damn house for too long. And I'm sick of it. And isn't that why Spooky claimed me? So I'd be safe?"

"These new Prophets don't give a shit about a claim. And they won't hesitate to shoot, keeping you here is keeping you safe."

"It's suffocating! I've turned into such an alcoholic being locked up here. And I need to socialise with people my own age! I haven't seen much of my friends since last year!" I yell.

"What's going on here?" Asks Oscar walking outside of his house and over to us.

"Perfect, now you can listen to what I have to say too. Now where was I, oh yes. You both are assholes! With Cesar going after Latrelle, I need to be with my friends. And away from this house because you two are going to get a lot of shit from me. He could be laying dead in a ditch and you two don't give a fuck! You should be ashamed of yourselves!" I yell causing them both to look at the ground. "That's barely scratching the surface! I have a whole lot more to say. I could stay here and say every little thing or you could just let me go to school like a normal fucking teenager!" I yell.

"Jesus fucking Christ." Breathes out Antonio. "You can go to your fucking school."

"Thank you!" I say angrily. "Now if you'll excuse me." I say turning around to leave.

"Only if I drive you." Says Antonio.

"But I want to walk with my friends." I whine.

"No Jamlia. I drive you or you don't go." Says Antonio crossing his arms.

"Fine." I grunt.

"Get in the car." Demands Antonio.

I roll my eyes but comply.

——————

"He's alive! It's a sign! Cesar is alive!" Exclaims Monse.

"How do you know it was him?" Asks Ruby. "I mean, someone could've stolen the stuff."

"Good point." Asserts Jamal.

I nod in agreement.

"Why would someone steal food and blankets, but leave a stereo?" Monse asks rhetorically.