She's Mine

Unedited
Vote and Comment.❤

1992

Standing outside of her school Loretha looked for her sister Carol. She couldn't wait for summer break to begin. She didn't have to wear these busted ass uniform anymore. Spotting Carol running her damn mouth Loretha huffed. Stomping over as Carol quickly said bye to her friends. Not wanting to be embarrassed in front of them....again.

"Its too hot for that!" Loretha snapped, peeling off the uniform sweater.

"Yeah well maybe if Candace ever got us a rude with her boyfriend like her we wouldn't have to walk." Carol sassed, starting the trek home.

"If your ass wasnt such a damn snitch we would have a ride! But noooooo you let it slip loose lips." Loretha spat.

"Its not my fault you broke up with Barry." Carol tossed, Loretha's head snapped to her in disbelief. You had to be a special type of stupid to throw around exs. Especially their only ex. That was still raw for Loretha. It had only been 2 weeks since the breakup. She wasn't really even sure it was a break up. They never said the exact words. She didn't need Carol throwing that in her face. She smacked the back if Carol's head with anger.

"Don't do that shit."

"Man! Ima tell daddy if you keep hitting me!"

"IMa tElL dAdDy...crybaby ass." Loretha mocked, she expected Carol to throw another empty threat. Not her father actually pulling up beside them.

"Daddy? What are you doing?" Loretha asked, he was supposed to be at work. He never missed any bit of it. He needed all just hours.

"I was on this side of town. Got a job by the house, figured pick you girls up. It's hot. Maybe get some water ice?" He offered, a bright smile on his face.

"Oooooouuu yes please!" Carol chirped, running around to the passenger side of the van. Loretha frowned heaving a sigh as she rounded the car. Too many red flags to count. The biggest one? Her father willingly offering up spending money on "false treats". It always meant he was using it to soften up his kids. To deliver the bad news.

"Hey! Loretha! Wait!" A voice called, Loretha paused climbing into the truck. Turning to the source to see a unfamiliar girl running up to her.

"Thanks for letting me use your chemistry notes. I almost forgot to give them back." She spoke, shoving said notes into her arms. Loretha blinked away her confusion after she caught sight of a top down cream caddy pass by.

"Thanks girl, I appreciate it. Have a good day." Loretha smiled, climbing into the van. Sliding the papers into her binder Carol gave her a knowing look.

"Alright, buckle up. Let's go." He spoke, turning up the radio.

Sir-Mix-Alots Baby Got Back playing on the radio. Carol instantly jumped in singing the lyrics. Their father eyed his child worrying Loretha he was about to dive into a lecture. He surprised her when he started singing along. I was these moments she wished she had her cam corder. These moments when their father was actually their father. When they had time to spend together when you had to support 3 teenagers on a single salary quality time wasn't an option.

Getting to the water ice stand they ordered. Snacking on their shaved ice overlooking the hood. Despite it being the hood it had its beautiful moments. Light playful banter swirling between them. Much like Loretha figured though. This personal time was no spontaneous idea.

"I gotta share something with you girls." He started, Loretha's smile fell instantly souring the words in his mouth.

"Bills are getting high. With the pipe burst I just can't skate by this summer. I need some help. I need everyone to pitch in this year. I need you guys to get some jobs. Loretha you can work minor hours, Carol you can babysit. I wouldn't take all the money. Just a little bit, just enough to survive." He spilled, Loretha blinked she had been expecting this. With Candace graduating this year he knew it was only a matter of time before she went chasing financial security. She hated living in the hood on noodles and grits.