Chapter 27

JENNIE

"Well, my students, I hope you've done your homework and could tell me a little bit about your favourite artist." I start today's art class. It is Tuesday.

In turn, most of them only tell me about the most famous classics, such as Pablo Picasso, Leonardo da Vinci or Michelangelo.

Hardly any of them can give me any of the artists' background stories, nor tell me a work of art by Picasso. They didn't even begin to do any research, which is why they get a suitable grade for their homework. If some of them didn't do anything, they get accordingly. It's sad that only three of them can tell me about da Vinci's past. I can't help but share anecdotes about the artists, although I'm irritated that about a third of the class have named these three artists and know very little about their so-called 'favorite artists'.

"Wait, Picasso was a player and da Vinci was gay?!" Jayden asks in shock, which is why I have to laugh a little.

"At least that's how word gets around. Lots of artists were homosexual, only they could never admit it in their day. Your favorite artist was too."

Jayden seems to be contemplating which name he mentioned earlier, causing the entire class to burst out laughing.

"So Jayden, Michelangelo - who's apparently your favorite artist - was too. He was fortunate that his works were so benevolent that he was not beheaded for molesting one of his very young models."

Jayden blushes and finally it's the wonderful person in front of him to tell me their favorite artist.

"So, Lalisa. Who is your favourite artist?" I stand in front of my desk and lean against it. I crossed my arms in front of my chest and waited for her answer while inconspicuously examining her again. I just can't get enough of looking at her. She wears a short skirt and a crop top. She has Dutch braids and she has put orange-brown lipstick on her lips. Lisa just looks adorable. Once again I realize how sexy my little girl is and that's what I love so much about her style. She is different. Kinda special.

It pleases me with a smile when I see how she looks at me in the same way and her gaze lingers on my lips for a while before she looks into my eyes. For a while she just looks at me with slightly parted lips and I feel like time has stopped for a moment.

"Salvador Dalí." She finally answers, pulling me back to the present and biting her bottom lip. I'm trying as best as I can to banish the image from my mind, like it came to me last week in another classroom. So damn beautiful...

STOPP! After all, I don't want to get an erection in front of my entire class.

On the one hand, I'm happy about her answer, because I also adore this surrealist, on the other hand, I was hoping that she would also name artists like Amadeo Modigliani. Artist names that are less well known.

"And may I ask why?"

She smiles and I feel like the sun is rising on this rainy day. "Because he's totally shower banged, to be honest. He wanted to prove that he was the original and not a sponsorship for his late brother, who bore the same name as himself. Dalí did the craziest things like biting off half a bat's head or just falling down the stairs because he loved surprising people, even though the way he did it was total crap." I can't help but smile too. I love to hear her talk about something so passionately that she forgets everything around her - as do I. "Or the fact that his childhood dream was to be a chef, despite being anything but feminine."

"Salvador Dalí also said he would have become a serial killer if he wasn't an artist. Would you say that if arguably one of the craziest artists out there, your favorite artist is that it makes you a bit of a nut too, Miss Manoban?" I ask her specifically and directly.

While the others gasp in shock and look at me misleadingly, Lisa just laughs, which surprises even me. Last week I hadn't had the pleasure of seeing her so carefree. Is everything okay between her and her boyfriend now? I hope not.

"I guess so, yes. There are countless reasons why he's my favorite artist, Ms. Kim."

"He was secretly a fanatic about true love, did you know that?" I ask her, forcing her to maintain eye contact with my gaze, and she just nods.

"Dalí fell in love with his adorable gala and adored her."

"She was his muse and his wife. He said her love kept him from losing his mind."

"And that her love saved him." She finishes the sentence for me, tucking a nonexistent strand of hair behind her ear as my intense gaze embarrasses her again, and she partially understands the meaning behind my words. Either that or she's completely irritated. Maybe even both.

"Exactly."

She looks down at her pad and it's Nayeon's turn. At the end of the lesson, I remind everyone to bring money for the next lesson. "Don't forget to bring the money on Thursday for next week's trip to the Art Museum."

-

The bus is already full. One last time the old woman, Mrs. Choi goes through the names of the students to check if all the students are already there. Before she starts, I already know that we're not complete. A look at my wristwatch tells me that it's already five past eight, although we originally wanted to leave exactly at eight because we booked the tour at twelve and don't know how often we'll be stuck in traffic on the 250 miles that we have to drive.

"Lalisa Manoban." She calls her, but no answer. "Is Lalisa Manoban here on the bus?"

"She texted me that she'll be there any moment." Nayeon said.

Mrs. Choi sighs in disapproval before continuing down the list.

"Seems only your student is missing until now." Says Susan Park from the seat next to me. Her blonde bangs almost cover her eyes and she smiles at me sweetly.

Susan is a substitute teacher at the school and teaches French. She is twenty-five and just finished her studies last year. Since she's been here for three weeks, she hasn't missed a moment not to flirt with me, however, I always politely declined. I admit she's quite nice and pretty, but I'm not interested in her. For the last two months, my interest has only been in a pretty Thai girl who always pushes me away. What an irony.

Exactly at that moment, my angel comes running into the bus, out of breath, and apologizes directly for being late. Apparently a trademark of hers, Mrs. Choi scolds her briefly before telling Lisa to just sit down and that's that. I follow the situation with amusement and watch her closely as she searches for a free seat on the bus and then her eyes widen in shock. There's only one spot left next to Ms. Park and me.

"Jennie, I can sit next to you, right? Then she can sit here-" before Susan can finish, Mrs. Choi sits down next to her, leaving only a seat next to me. An amused smile creeps onto my lips.

Even though I know that the next four hours will be pure torture, I still get up so that she will deliberately sit on the window side and I will be her only person to speak to. "Seems to be only one place left."

-

A/N: Last time I updated on this book was two weeks ago, so here my update finally!