extra #4

June and Tommy were driving up to Tommy's parents, June behind the wheel. Google Maps led the way, and June prayed that the minimal British driving lessons he received from Wilbur and Jack Manifold were enough to get them across England.

"Oh man, what if they don't like me?" June asked, running his fingers through his hair.

Tommy fixed where June made it stand up, smiling. "They're gonna love you. Especially my mum. You've no idea how many times she'd watch a stream and tell me how much she wanted to meet you."

June chuckled, although that only made him more nervous. What if he didn't meet their expectations? He knew how sweet Tommy's parents are, but it was making him want to crawl into a hole and die thinking about messing up in front of them.

"Oh god, will they scold me if I accidentally swear in front of them?" June pulled at the ends of his hair. He needed to redye it.

"First, both hands on the wheel, second, they won't give a shit! As long as you're.. mostly clean, they won't mind very much." Tommy grinned. "They had to deal with me my whole life, y'know."

June snorted. "True. And if all else fails, at least I can fall back on the fact that it can't be worse than Dear Evan Hansen."

"Yes! Exactly!" Tommy paused. "Wait, what?"

June shook his head. "I read the book to you, remember? I don't think you watched the musical with us, but I've played the soundtrack around the house."

"I remember me being more focused on not embarrassing myself when you were being cute, and less on what you were actually saying.."

June laughed a little, the tips of his ears going red. "Basically, he lied about knowing this kid that commited suicide because he was obsessed with the guy's younger sister."

"Ooh, yikes. Yeah, you can't get worse than that."

June put his hand on the center console, hoping Tommy would take the hint. To his credit, Tommy was pretty good at reading June's body language by now. He interlocked their hands, and played with June's rings. Today, he was only wearing a couple that Malcom had given him.

"I just realized something," June said, glancing over at Tommy. The Brit hummed, and June continued, "Both of our moms are named Sarah."

(i don't remember who or where but it was actually a commenter that pointed this out to me so shoutout to them if theyre here)

Tommy nodded. "Funny coincidence. Wil said it once when he came over, and then I immediately forgot about it."

June snorted. "Was that also the time when he got you to try his favorite wine?"

"Yes and I will never drink wine again. It was not good."

"Personally, I think rosé isn't all that bad," June commented. "When we get back, if Malcom and Toby don't drink the bottle Artemis sent, we gotta open it."

"Sure." Tommy sang along to the song playing for a minute, before it ended. "I can't wait for you to meet them."

June smiled. "You're being very adorable and you need to stop because I am driving."

"I am not adorable," Tommy argued. "You need glasses."

June rolled his eyes. "They wouldn't have given me my license if I needed glasses, dummy." He pulled into a neighborhood, and Tommy lit up in recognition. "Ooh boy, my heart is pounding."

Tommy squeazed his hand. "It'll be okay, I promise. I already warned them that you're really nervous, and they promised to not ask too many questions today, but who knows." He laughed a little, "We're lucky it's nearly 9 so we have an excuse to go to bed if we get tired of talking."

June chuckled, and made the final turn into the driveway.

"Welp. We're here." June turned the car off, taking the key from the ignition. "At your childhood home."

"At my childhood home," Tommy repeated, more enthusiastically than June. "I'll get the suitcase."

They got out of the car, and Tommy grabbed the suitcase from the back seat. Standing felt really good after their 3 ½ hour long drive. June took a moment to look at the simple neighborhood, not many people outside. He wondered if it had changed any since Tommy left.

Tommy walked round the car, grabbing June's hand for some comfort. June locked the car as they walked away, and Tommy let go of the suitcase for a second to knock on the door.

Sarah Simons herself opened the door, immediately encaging her son in a hug that made June grin.

"You made it!" she cheered, though it was a normal volume. She let go of Tommy.

"We made it," Tommy echoed. He looked to June with a smile. "Well. Mum, this is June. June, this is my mum. Since you guys were never formally introduced."

"It's so great to meet you," June said, hoping it didn't come out as scared as he felt.

Sarah Simons laughed, and hugged June as well. "Welcome, welcome. Come in, you two."

June felt like he was walking on eggshells. Not because of Tommy or Sarah Simons, no, but because the image in his head of what most mothers were like has been formed around how his mother treated him. The only two mothers he'd really encountered before this were Maria and Beth, and quite honestly, he believed they were the nicest women he's ever met.

To put it simply, June was scared that the warm and bubbly personality of Tommy's mother was going to fade away if June were left alone with her. It happens with his own mom, so that must happen to everybody, right?

The three had settled onto the couches at some point, and June made a conscious point to sit like a 'normal' person, as he had so eloquently been told by his own mother every time he sat on the couch with his feet on it. Tommy seemed to take note of the way that June made myself sit with his back against the couch back and with his feet planted on the ground.

"Y'know, mum, I think we'd better get off to bed. I'm pretty tired, and I know June probably is as well, so we'll see ya in the morning." Tommy gave his mother a hug, while June simply waved, before they headed upstairs.

Tommy's old room looked so.. plain. He'd taken most of the decoration with him to Brighton, so all that was really left was his bed, and the dresser. He'd taken all his streaming stuff and desk with him as well.

June sat on the edge of the bed, and Tommy kneeled down to pull out their pajamas from their shared suitcase before sitting beside June, hugging him.

June melted into the hug, feeling like he may cry. It was a little overwhelming having to worry about shit he hadn't had to worry about since he got out of his parents' house.

"I don't know if she liked me," June whispered.

"She loved you, don't even stress about that," Tommy assured him. "You looked so scared the entire time."

"I was," June replied, forcing a small laugh. "I.. don't know if I'll be able to stay the entire week."

"That's okay. We can go back home any time you want."

"Does she know that I'm.. y'know?"

"Probably. She's been rooting for us the entire time, yanno. Like since the first time we spoke, she thought we'd be a cute couple."

June chuckled. "Guess her wishes came true, huh?"