Forty

~ ~ Adam ~ ~

~ ~ Adam ~ ~

Cold shuttled down my spine. Something wasn't right.  "Godsdammit." I tried to call her back.

Nothing.

Looking up, I searched for Chris. He'd been in the restroom for the best part of ten minutes—what the hell was he doing in there? Gritting my teeth, I spotted him taking his sweet-ass time coming back to our table. Shooting  up from my seat, I snatched my jacket from the back of the chair.

"What?" he asked, with his goddamn dimple winking at me. "I got distracted by a pretty red-head." Grinning like the village idiot.

Arching a brow, shaking my head. "I have to go. Something's wrong with Riley. Her phone cut out. And now she's not answering."

Chris's smile dropped as grabbed his jacket. "C'mon, it's quicker if we go in my car, save heading back to Mercy for yours."

That would save time. Even so, we were a good half hour away from my house.

In the car, I kept hitting the redial   C'mon Riley.  Answer the goddamn phone.

"Still no answer?" asked Chris. "Tried the house-line?"

Chris hitched a shoulder, drawing a glare from me. "Of course I tried—it's dead." I grouched.

"You've had power cuts before, perhaps it's that?"

I nodded, yeah that was plausible.  But why did she sound frightened?

Rubbing over my chin, my eyes flicked between my phone and the road head ahead.

"Will you quit it, Adam—you're making me nervous."

Ignoring Chris, something up ahead in the road caught my attention. Some kind of weird distortion and then the highway lights started flickering and dulling and a ripple of something passed through the air.

What the hell?  I narrowed my eyes, leaning forward.  The hairs at the back of my neck stood on end as my eyebrows shot into my hairline. The distortion moved, shifted almost like it had shape. I blinked, hearing something too, almost like a child whimpering.

"Do you hear that?" I asked Chris, who shifted his attention to me for a brief second.

"Huh? Hear what?"

"Nothing." I heard it again, but I was more startled by what was out in the middle of the road—appearing out of nowhere. "Fuck, look out, Chris!" There was a woman, and we were about to hit her.   Jesus!    Thrust forward, only stopped by my seatbelt as Chris slammed on the brakes, swerving  the car, screeching to a halt on the side of the highway.

"What the fuck Adam!?  What!?—"

He tossed out more curses but I just blinked looking around, turning my head to check out the rear window. But she was gone. Vanished.