Thirty-Two

~ ~ Adam ~ ~

~ ~ Adam ~ ~

By the time I'd showered and dressed, the hotel rang to confirm the delivery of my rental car. On the way to pick up Riley, I'd confirmed all the arrangements with the horse sanctuary we were visiting today.

Back in Lockwood, Riley had spoken about her love for all things horse related. I shouldn't have needed Connor to remind me, but that aside I was sure she would appreciate the day out I'd organised with solely her in mind—or at least I hoped she would.

I'd admit I was nervous but it was one sure fire way of showing her the passions that she loved meant something to me too and it felt good giving back something that she missed from back home.

And if it earned me a smile and some brownie points, even better.

As I'd arrived at her apartment block, she was sat on the steps waiting for me.  I'd wanted head up to her apartment and knock on her door, as you would a date.  But she'd insisted that wasn't necessary and would meet me outside.  A little disappointed I would make sure I walked her back to her door tonight when we got back.

Parking, I unclipped my seatbelt and was out the car walking toward as she rose, dusting off her butt.

Beautiful. She looked every inch the natural beauty she was. Green eyes sparkling, hair tied up and her face free of any kind of make-up and damn if she didn't get my heart racing and that feeling I had since we'd spoken last night expanded in my chest. And when I complimented her the blush to her cheeks was so goddamn adorable.

How the hell had I let this woman walk away?

As the distance between us closed Riley tipped her head up. She didn't draw away as I thought she might and her eyes dropped to my lips and she licked across hers and I followed the movement. Dipping my head she stilled, sucking in a sharp breath and I pressed a soft kiss on her cheek, catching the edge of her lips. I heard her exhale and every hair on my body stood on end and a rush of blood went south.

Christ. No, no, no. I was determined we would keep the relationship strictly PG-13... until she gave me an answer,  another chance.

This wasn't about sex, or me.  This was all about Riley and showing her how important she was to me.

But try telling that to the man downstairs. In the shower rolling images of every intimate moment we'd shared played on repeat and even though I'd taken some very much needed hand relief, decorating the shower wall, I was still in a state of semi-arousal just setting eyes on her and when her sweet peach scent surrounded me, wrapping around my senses it was almost my undoing and I forced myself to step back, swallowing hard.

Riley giggled. "Tickles...the beard," she clarified, smiling and her eyes locked on mine then dropped like a stone, but not before I saw the uncertainty hidden there. It was important I rectified that first.