Twenty

~ ~ Adam ~ ~

~ ~ Adam ~ ~

"Are you vibrating, Doctor?" Riley giggled.

What? Oh... my phone.  I pulled it from my pocket. It was Chris. "Hey."

"You home?" he asked.

"Out with Riley. Be back home in ten." I glanced at Riley. "Everything okay back home?"

"Yeah, yeah. All good. Listen, I'm heading your way. See you ten-fifteen. Oh and say hello to Riley."

My eyes were still on Riley. "Chris says hi."

She briefly turned. "Oh, well, tell him I said hi right back."

I smiled. "Riley says hi and I'll see you in ten."

Ending the call, shoving my phone in my pocket. I snook another peek at Riley. She was nibbling on her bottom lip. She'd been quiet nearly the whole drive back.

A weird niggly feeling tugged at my chest. Something was going on, something she didn't want me to know or felt unable able to confide in me.

"I've had a great time today, Riley... thank you."

Turning from the road, her face lifted into a warm smile, but it never reached her eyes, they still seemed sad, haunted. "Me too, and you don't need to thank me. I enjoy spending time with you." She returned her attention to driving.

I liked spending time with her. "Are you sure nothing's worrying you?" It was worth another try.

"Honesty, nothing to tell." Her words seemed genuine. Perhaps I was just reading too much into something that wasn't there.

"Okay, but if you change your mind. You can tell me anything."

Briefly catching my eyes, she flashed me another smile. "Thank you." She double blinked. "That means a lot, and you're officially added to the list of people I will miss when I head back to New York."

She was going to miss me? "You have a list—and am I at the bottom of this list?" I jested.

"Trust me, Adam, it's not that long."

Fuck, and there it was again. The reminder clenched a fist around my throat, and the ache in my chest was very real, charring me more than I wanted to admit...

She was going home.

"I'm free tomorrow if you want to drop by." I wanted to spend as much time with her as she would allow me.

"Yeah?" She seemed genuinely surprised. "You not had enough of me, yet?"

Not by a long shot. "I'm taking full advantage whilst you're here, as no doubt you will forget me quick enough, when you're back in the big city."

Barring Alzheimer's, I would never forget Riley. I shifted my attention to the passing scenery, hating the tightening across my chest, but my eyes saw nothing apart from the empty feeling that lay ahead when she left Lockwood.