Six

~ ~ Riley Jo ~ ~

~ ~ Riley Jo ~ ~

It was Wednesday as we stood in the only bridal shop in Lockwood Creek. Looking in the mirror, my fingers drummed against my waist, waiting for Maddy as she circled me, inspecting.

Maddy came to stop tapping her finger against her pursed lips. "It's perfect, Riley."

Tilting my head at my reflection, she wasn't wrong.  The black and champagne halter bridesmaid dress was beautiful. The chiffon gave it an air of elegance as I brushed my hand over the delicate material, admiring the way it tapered in at the beaded waist and caressed the curve of my full hips, trailing to the floor. "I'm gonna guess and say Mama didn't choose it."

Her smile lit up her entire face.  "I'd seen something like it in one of those fancy bridal magazines and Jane and Tilly added their flair."  She reached for my hands and lifted them out to the side.  "Beautiful,"  she muttered. "All six bridesmaids will have a unique style."  Wrinkling her nose.  "Mama wanted jade.  Can you imagine it?"

Urgh, no

Jane and Tilly Inkerman came into the dressing rooms.  They owned the bridal shop.  Right behind them, my mama marched in casting her gaze on me.

"We will need a last fitting two days before the wedding.  Riley Jo has at least fourteen pounds to shed."

I clamped my mouth shut as Tilly and Jane gave me a woeful smile.  "Two days is more than enough time Mrs Lockwood."

Mama came to stand right in front of me, her eyes narrowing, then widening. "Why, I believe that even you, Riley Jo, will muster being halfway respectable."

Damn, that was the closest I'd come to a compliment since... hell, I couldn't remember when.

Hearing her phone ring, she took off out of the room, leaving all four of us to relieve a thankful breath. "Don't you be fretting Riley Jo, you look picture perfect," said Tilley, whispering, but looking over her shoulder to double check my mama wasn't in earshot.

Maddy pulled me in for a hug. "Ignore Mama, she's—well, she's just Mama."

~ ~

Half an hour following the dress fitting, me and Maddy sat in old Mrs Lee's all family diner.  Mama had thankfully muttered something about flowers and left us in peace.

I tucked into a slice of fresh apple pie, my tastebuds dancing in joy.

"So, are you fixing to tell me?" Maddy asked, dipping her little finger into the cream of her cappuccino.

I let my eyebrows rise, trying to hold back my grin. "What—Conner Jackson not put out his daily newsletter?"

"Don't make me tell mama you ate that pie."