Eight

~ ~ Riley Jo ~ ~

~ ~ Riley Jo ~ ~

I sat patiently on Max and Conner's doorstep. I'd raced home from the diner, perhaps breaking a few of Lockwood's speeding laws to find Maddy wasn't at home. Grabbing up as many items of clothing as possible, I loaded them in the car and headed to Connors, but not before leaving a note for Maddy, just in case she wondered what I'd done with her car.

Connor rarely worked on a Sunday, but he had some big legal case and was, as he said, putting in the extra mileage to make sure he was prepared. I wasn't sure where Max was hanging out, but I would hazard a guess he was at his Ma's. For the size of the man, he was the biggest Mama's boy in the whole of the south.

Conner waved as his car pulled up. "Sorry princess, it's been a crazy day."

"Don't go apologising, I'm just happy you're here. It's an emergency."

"What's the 911, spill."

A stupid grin slid across my face as I tilted my chin up. "I'm taking that bull by the horns and in approximately." I glanced at my phone. "Three hours time, I'm gonna seduce my doctor."

He looked over my shoulder and then behind him?"

I looked around too. "What you looking for?"

"I'm looking for Riley Jo Lockwood, 'cause the one I know wouldn't do such a thing without a healthy dose of alcohol kicking through her hot little body." He cupped my cheeks. "And you look as sober as the day you were born!"

He was right. When friends with benefits blurted out. It had caught me in the moment.  Adam's kiss had sucked all the oxygen from my lungs, therefore my brain was running low on the essential element required for rational thinking. And not to mention his deep, sexy voice when he'd told me he didn't like seeing me with Logan. That alone melted my heart and set my panties on fire!

Connor grinned.  "So what can I do to help?  Because we're fresh out of tequila."

I shook my head. "No alcohol, I just need your help in making me look the part of a sexy seductress."

"Princess!" he took my chin between his fingers. "You don't need anyone's help. You have all the equipment right here." He freed me and swished his hand dramatically over my body.

If only I could believe him. "Oh, I forgot my razor and I need to shower too." I pouted, fluttering my puppy dog eyes. 

He slipped his arm across my shoulder and pulled me into his warmth. "Quit it with the crazy eyes.  You're gonna walk outta here every inch the princess you are." He walked us inside.

~ ~

Two hours later, every patch of skin had been plucked, razored, scrubbed and creamed. Connor stood next to me, his eyes roaming over my reflection. "That's the one— it screams, sexy and a little sass, but still with a hint of sweet southern good girl."