Fifteen

~ ~ Riley Jo ~ ~

~ ~ Riley Jo ~ ~

Tension tied me up in knots that kept coming undone, then tying me right back up.

"We all need to sit down and talk this out," said my daddy as my mama cut him down with a withering stare.

"We all know it's far too late for that, Frank," she snarled.

"Mercy Jane, this isn't helping," he pleaded.

"Helping you say!?" She threw her hands up to the heavens. "For far too long we've been lenient with this girl, and look where that's gotten us, Frank!"  Her head whipped around, jaw clenched as she struck me with her frosty stare. "I warned you," she spat.

It was cut and dried. Mama would believe nothing I had to say. Hell, I could say the sky was blue, and she'd say I was lying 'bout it.

I bit back a curse, knowing it was a mistake coming back home to Lockwood.

Maddy pushed up from the sofa, swiping away a tear, her bottom lip trembled. 

"Maddy..."   I drew in a suffocating breath whilst the pressure in my daddy's study became excruciating. The haunted look in my sisters' eyes tore strips right off my heart. "Whatever it is you think you know—Y'all got it wrong."

"Ha!" mama spat. "The only thing wrong here is you, child." She moved across the room, draping an arm around her favourite child. "There's not a decent bone in that—" She waved her free hand over me. "There body of yours."  Her words aimed for my chest, and hit me square on.

What in god's name had Cooper said to them? "Maddy,"  my tone pleaded holding out my hand. "I've done nothing wrong."

A sharp breath escaped Maddy. "Nothing wrong Riley Jo? Nothing?" she shook her head. "Mama said you had a cruel heart and I've never wanted to believe it, but this... this Riley Jo."

"Maddy, you know me. I've never done a mean thing against you and whatever that fiancé—snake in the grass has told you, it's all lies. I swear to you."

"Lies, is it?" inserted mama

I fixed a stare on my mama. "Yes, lies Mama. He tried to kiss me and touch me last night and I shoved him off and I ran from that barn as if a fire had been lit under my feet!"

"Tell me Riley Jo, why didn't you come right back here and tell us all?"

Awe shit, she had me there as I bit down hard on my lip.  

Mama continued. "I know this to be true. You will do anything to ruin this wedding?" adamant in her accusation.

"What?"  What in the hells was she talking about?

"How Mama? Tell me, how have I tried to ruin this wedding?"

She didn't answer. "I may not have witnessed what went on in that barn.  But any fool can see how you look at him." She folded her arms, pushing her chin out. "Cooper told me how you make him feel uncomfortable last night."