Five

~ ~ Adam ~ ~

~ ~ Adam ~ ~

Christ!

My feet shifted before my mind could process, catching her. Sweeping up in my arms, she was out cold.

Glancing at her bare foot, spots of blood dripped to the floor. I would need to look at her injury. "I can fix this. Where can I place her?" I turned with her in my arms, focusing on Mercy Jane Lockwood, the woman of nightmares.

"The den," she replied, aloof. "I'm about to have that redecorated and it won't matter if she bleeds on anything."

There wasn't a shred of concern for the woman I held. Her furniture mattered more than her own daughter.

Sighing, she flicked her hand. "Fetch her, before she bleeds any more on my floor."

Forcing a small smile, I followed, but my attention kept dropping to the young, beautiful woman in my arms. Under the flush of her cheeks there was a smattering of freckles that weren't there before and damn, weren't they just adorable?

A weird feeling shunted across my chest, as if protective of this small woman who smelled like peaches. Without thinking, I tightened my grip, but then out of the blue, it hit me like a slap to the face.

Mercy Jane Lockwood was her mother.

I'd slept with a Lockwood. Jesus fucking Christ.

Double doors opened up. "There, place her there. She pointed toward a sofa that looked new to me. "I will instruct Stella to help."

I strode past her, my knees brushed against the sofa and I almost didn't want to put her down. Shaking the weirdness, I braced myself and lay her gently down.

The retreating footstep of Mercy Lockwood allowed me a moment to look at her daughter as I swept a dark wayward curl from her cheek, fighting the urge to tangle my fingers in the rest.

"What the fuck!" I looked up to see Chris staring down, his expression as surprised as mine to recognise my one-night stand. "You have got to be kidding me?"

I refocused and nudged past him to sit at the end of the sofa, lifting her small foot so I could take a closer look.

"What happened?" he asked, bending to look with me.

"Safe to say, she was just as surprised to see me." That was an understatement. She'd looked horrified. "Chris, I doubt they will have anything of use, here. Grab your bag from the car." Chris and I went nowhere without being able to perform minor surgery.

"Sure, on it." He looked down again, shaking his head. "Damn, what's the odds?"

Inspecting her foot, marveling at the softness of her skin, I tried not to let my thoughts or eyes wander as I blew out a breath.