Nineteen

~ ~ Riley Jo ~ ~

~ ~ Riley Jo ~ ~

Slipping on my white pumps, I twirled, admiring my fifties floral print inspired dress in the full-length mirror. It cinched in at the waist and the sweetheart neckline made my breasts look like a whole heap of trouble.

Connor was always saying I looked like one of the bombshell film stars from that era, so I thought, why the hell not. I only hoped Adam would like it too as we'd arranged to spend the day together.

Grabbing my phone, my heart squeezed. Still no word from Maddy. I'd sent her countless messages, explaining what had happened out in the barn.

My stomach churned. I hated this rift between us. Never in our entire lives had we gone a day without speaking, either by phone or text.

But now it was only seventy-two hours until the dreaded big day and I wasn't sure we could stop the inevitable and believe me, it wasn't for the lack of trying. Along with the messages. On Sunday night I'd climbed up the old birch tree to her window and damn well nearly killed myself, when one branch gave way. I'd tapped on her window for fifteen minutes straight. Then I had to risk my life a second time climbing down when it was apparent she had no intention of letting me in.

And on Monday I'd waited outside the wedding dress boutique, but she arrived with her three bridesmaids and Cooper's younger sister and flat out refused to talk to me and Cooper's sister had the barefaced cheek to call me every ungodly name under the sun.

And now, I was at a loss at what else to try.

But I would not let it spoil today.

Giving my outfit one last inspection, I headed down to my nana's kitchen to hear a hearty laugh.

"About time you made an appearance, princess," smiled Connor as he sat with my Nana munching down on her fine butter biscuits.

Not expecting him today. I hoped I hadn't forgotten something. "Did we have somethin' planned today?"

"Nah, Max is helping his Mama out, and I had some free time, so I thought I'd drop in on my favourite girl... well two favourite girls." He winked at my nana.

"You could charm bees to make you honey, Connor Jackson." Nana loved Connor probably as much as me.

"Morning Nana." I leaned down and kissed her cheek.

"Mornin' to you, my sweet child."

"I hope they're not my butter biscuits you're scoffing down!" I pointed to half a biscuit Connor had in his hand.

My Nana swished her hand in the air. "Don't you be worrying none. Yours all wrapped and ready to go, in that there basket."

I smiled gratefully before walking over to the refrigerator to pull out the jug of fresh orange. "Why did you let me sleep so late, Nana?"