Twenty-Five

~ ~ Riley Jo ~ ~

~ ~ Riley Jo ~ ~

I hadn't answered when I'd heard Connor speak through the door, telling me he would be stepping out for a few minutes. I was inside the small bathroom brushing my teeth.  Finishing up, I was gonna take a shower, but I couldn't be bothered and simply washed my face, patting it dry.

Hanging up the small towel, I straightened and faced the mirror.

Oh, sweet Jesus.  I'd certainly had better days.

Pale face, dark circles and dull eyes waved hello. Angling my head to the left and then to the right, I guess I should be thankful they hadn't smacked me around some more. Although... I tentatively touched the back of my head. Hissing a breath, I had a lump the size of a football, but thankfully only a few scratches on my neck, shoulders and legs.  The worst for anyone to see decorated my arms, bruises had flourished to a colorful purply blue shade.

But outside wounds would heal in no time.

Pinching my cheeks to add a little colour, my lips felt dry, rough.  I rummaged in the bag of necessities my nana had brought me.  Inside, I found a stick of cherry lip gloss and dabbed a little on, squeezing then puckering my lips in the hope it might make me feel more... me.

As my eyes wandered down my reflection, they stopped on my midriff.  I hesitantly pressed my hand to my stomach, trying to picture what I would have looked like with a round tummy, a little life growing inside me.

And what if I'd had a little boy, cute with dark hair and simmering dark eyes like his daddy. I gulped and quickly replaced that image with one of a little girl, dressed from head to toe in pink whilst climbing a tree.

My chest tightened and sadness crashed over me as I breathed in slowly.

I would never know.

I gave my head a little wobble. Thinking like this would do me no damn good. In truth it only made it worse, and it didn't help that my emotions had hiked over to crazy town.  Hormones the doctor has said and I could go from sorta okay to hysterical in a matter of minutes. It was stupid to torture myself with what if's...especially when I'd never even known I was pregnant.

My eyes dropped to the floor. Just like everything else in my life, I'd been slow on the uptake.  Only realised too late because if I'd had known, the last place I would have been was a bar.

The burning swell of tears blurred my reflection so it became an out-of-focus mess... just like my head.  I didn't think anyone would understand why I felt so upset, so hollow over my loss.

"Don't you dare start crying Riley Jo Lockwood."  I angrily swiped a tear. "Na-ah"  My voice was loud inside the small bathroom.

I was sick of crying.  My Nana and Connor had sat through hours of tears and you would have thought there would be none left...But apparently I had an abundance of the little, wet critters.