Sixteen

~ ~ Adam ~ ~

~ ~ Adam ~ ~

After finishing writing up patient notes, I could hardly concentrate on anything else. It was now Saturday, and I hadn't seen or heard from Riley Jo since Wednesday's crazy dinner with her family.

Pushing back on my chair, I grabbed my phone and headed out, flipping off the lights on the way out of my office.

Coming out of the elevator, I searched around. The main entrance was fairly free of people, which was odd for a Saturday evening.  Staring down at my phone, I was paying no heed to anyone or anything... or where I was going.

No messages.  Goddammit.  I sighed for the umpteenth time, having messaged Riley more times than it was healthy and left three, maybe four, okay closer to ten answerphone messages.

And not one had been returned. My finger hovered over call.

Don't do it.  I warned myself. This was getting out of hand; it wasn't even funny. I was a step down from stalker.

Dropping my hand, I groaned. Perhaps it was time to stop and face the harsh truth. She didn't want to talk or see me.  She'd blown me off or ghosted me as the kids would say.

Cursing my own weakness, I raised my phone, finger at the ready... just try one last try?

No!

I really had to quit this shit.  I was old enough to know better.  Too old for Riley for a kick-off.

But age wasn't the problem here, or so I thought. It was casual, fun, something that kept the darkness away.  It wasn't like we were dating or planning to become anything more than what it was, add that to the fact she was leaving Lockwood.

So why was I fixating on her?

I knew why. Where Riley Jo Lockwood was concerned, I couldn't help myself.  She was gorgeous, sexy, bright, and filled with a curiosity about life that I found so damn magnetic.  My insides twist up into a storm every time I thought about her. 

Oomph!  A clash of bodies had my phone slipping from my hand, crashing onto the grey flooring. I looked up.  "Sorry."

It was Dr Helen Wiseman.

"Hey, hi." She smiled as I double blinked, then dipped to pick up my phone.  "Sorry Helen, I didn't hurt you?"

She shook her head.  "No, it was my fault. I wasn't looking where I was going, my mind was elsewhere."

Huh, mine too.  "How's your second day?"

"Adam!" A voice shouted across the foyer. I turned to watch Chris jog toward us.  "Thought I'd missed you buddy."  His eyes flicked to Helen. A tight smile followed before refocusing on me.  "You up for going out, tonight?"

Going out was the last thing I had planned or wanted. And I was about to say no, but stopped myself. Perhaps a distraction from my own misery might help.  "Where are you heading?"