Thirty-Five

~ ~ Adam ~ ~

~ ~ Adam ~ ~

Seated in the far corner of the small family run Mexican restaurant, I swiped a bead of whisky from my lower lip as I sat listening to the woman who'd become my world and every time she smiled was like a hand reaching inside my chest and softly squeezing.

Over the past four weeks and since I'd totally given up trying to fight my feelings for her—they'd grown exponentially and it was getting harder and harder to leave when I had to head back to Lockwood. And when I was there, I slept, worked and counted the hours till I could make the trip back here.

But it made me appreciate every single second of our time together because in these moments when I swam in her orbit, it caused a chemical storm and every fibre screamed out that I loved this woman. And the cherry on top—it didn't scare the ever loving crap out of me.

I just had to make sure I didn't fuck it up.

"Y'all should have seen their faces."

It animated her entire face as she chatted about Connor and Max. Two people I owed so much too, as without their help I might not be sitting here... not forgetting I would be forever indebted to Chris, and Danny and nana Em for saving me from my idiocy and almost letting this amazing woman vanish from my life.

Riley was genuinely happy as she covered her mouth with her hand, trying to stem her giggles. "Oops sorry." Her eyes skimmed the other tables close by.

I loved her loud giggles. "Don't be, I enjoy seeing you smile, hearing you laugh." Riley was never afraid to show who she was and just be herself, no matter where we were.

It was sexy as hell, to be honest.

There was nothing about Riley Jo that didn't turn me on. She was beyond gorgeous. Those tempting eyes, the long glossy hair, that luscious body and her mouth, sinful and yet soft.

The server interrupted, placing a tray with the bill. I glanced up, but his attention was on Riley.

Riley reached out, attempting to pull the tray to her. "This one's mine. My treat!"

I covered her hand with mine. "No." My mouth shaped into a stubborn flat line. It might be old-fashioned, but to me, it was my job to look after her. And I'd not done a great job of that until four weeks ago, when she agreed to allow me to earn her trust, her love.

And tonight it paid off. She'd said yes. She wanted us to move forward as a couple—together.

Next step. Give notice at Mercy Heights and I moved here permanently, and I hoped Riley would move in with me. Although we hadn't discussed that or anything past her agreeing to a future with me.

But I wanted it all.

Everything.

House. Marriage. Kids.