Thirty-Eight

~ ~ Riley Jo ~ ~

~ ~ Riley Jo ~ ~

Overlooking the ocean from our hotel suite, I'd just finished breakfast and Adam had gone for an early morning run.  I was more than happy to relax here and count the minutes until I became Mrs Adam Matthews... Riley Jo Matthews.

I couldn't believe it had been two weeks since Adam had proposed and apparently, it didn't require a whole year to plan a wedding. In truth, it took just a few clicks on a computer and a credit card to organise the entire event and two days ago we arrived here in Maui.

I'd admit it wasn't how I pictured my wedding growing up, but now I realised it's who you marry that counts and not where or how.

What was a surprise was his parents. Dinner had gone well, I thought? His mother had kinda warmed up to me by dessert. Well, at least she wasn't as frosty as the delicious tropical ice-cream sundae I devoured.

But honestly, I didn't mind her too much as my attention kept drifting to Adam and the way he was looking at me, an entire army wouldn't stop me from marrying him today.

"Here you are." His voice, deep yet soft like butter, pulled me from my rambling thoughts. He moved behind me and tentatively placed his hands on either side of my shoulders, giving me a soft squeeze. Excitement skipped across my chest. "You feel tense." He wasn't wrong, but it was a nervous excitement.

Hands moved up to my neck and as he massaged, his touch so soft as my head lolled to my shoulder as he swept my hair aside, pressing his warm lips to my neck. A shiver danced up my spine as his breath teased over my shoulder and his fingers traced down my arms, drifting along the side of my breasts. "No cold feet?"

What? Was he kidding me?

I spun around, grabbing his t-shirt, craning my neck up to him. "My feet are so toasty they're practically being roasted alive!" Relaxing my grip, I splayed my fingers to feel his racing heart from his run. "How about yours, doctor?"

He grinned. "My feet are burning, baby!"

"Well good. Now we figured out how hot our feet are doin'—tell me what's really goin' on up there?" I tapped his forehead.

He planted his hands on my hips, pulling us closer. "I'm just worried this wasn't your dream." His eyes darted over my head, scanning the horizon. "It's nothing like the wedding your sister had, and I don't want you to feel you're missing out."

"Adam, I'd marry you in the middle of a hog pen at feedin' time." I schooled a serious expression, but couldn't hold it for long. "So quit askin' me dumb questions and kis—"

I didn't get to finish my sentence as his mouth met mine in a head on collision, stealing my breath.

"I like it when you're bossy," he said as I gulped down some air.

Slightly breathless. "Oh, y'all gonna love me a whole lot more then."

He eased his head back a little, smiling. "You're amazing Riley Jo, perfect. You know that right?"