Chapter 5 | Heartbeats

Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------

Do I like him?

That same question roamed in my head as I avoided going home, specifically to run into Naruto.

Since then, I've gotten pretty sick. Some sort of cold. It isn't going away though, since I haven't taken medicine for it, and I'm just staying out here in freezing weather.

I had decided to listen to one of Naruto's songs.
Not because of Shikamaru suggesting it, but...
I suppose because I was curious.

One click is all it took to get me hooked onto him.
One listen.
And one heartbeat.

Thump thump

The minute I pressed play to stream his song, I felt like my heart was beating out of my chest.

It seems that no matter how hard I try to deny it...
I like you...

I love you.

Those words, barely noticeable in my head, and yet are still there.

"Nhh," I squeezed my arms together, reacting to the freezing weather. I was already getting tired. No, I was getting exhausted. I hadn't eaten anything since two days ago, where I left him the minute I woke up in the morning after that night.

I was too scared to talk to him. I was worried he'd ask me how I really felt.... I suppose because I didn't know the answer to that.

And now, I do. All of those times... Why did he accept me like that? When I was drunk, I'm almost certain he wasn't. And I know he wasn't that other night too.

I guess...
He just wanted some kind of fuck buddy.

I shuddered, coughing as I laid down. And eventually, I fell asleep, barely covered with anything except my sweater.

...

"Sasuke."

"Sasuke!"

"Sasuke!!!"

...

"Ah!" I jumped up, gasping for air, and coughing once again. It started raining a few minutes later, though, and the water droplets hit my nose as I felt myself beginning to cry.

Confused, I wiped it, noticing that I was crying.
But, even though I tried, I couldn't remember what I was dreaming about.

Naruto...

I sighed, sitting up, shivering.
I.. need to see him right now.

I grabbed my sweater that was covering me throughout the night, and took it, running to my apartment.

"Hah... Hah..." I panted, knocking on the door because I had placed the other key on the nightstand. I had no intention of coming back.

"Nnh, who is it..." Naruto groaned before twisting the door handle, seeing me before him, panting with tears falling down my cheek.

"N-Naruto..." I mumbled softly, grabbing his hand, as his eyes were widened. "I... I'm sorry,"

Those were the only words I managed to say.

"...Sasuke, you're..." Naruto let me carry his hand, as I brought it to my forehead, closing my eyes as I felt his presence calm me down.

"I'm so, so.. sorry..." I muttered again.

He suddenly looked mad. "Sorry?" He clenched his left hand into a fist. "God damn it, I..."

He pulled me into a hug, enveloping my body under his. "I was worried about you! Stop saying sorry you idiot!" Naruto said in his usual raspy voice. I loved it, still.

I felt him shaking. His eyes had looked puffy and red, too. "Naruto..." I muttered.

I wanted to tell him.
But no matter how hard I tried, no words could come out.

So, I'll just enjoy this moment...

Because I'm not sure when I'll get another chance.

----------------------------------------------------------

Heyo! So for people confused, Sasuke is afraid to tell Naruto his feelings and why he left because he thinks Naruto only sees him as somebody to play around with when he feels like it. He feels that if he says anything, Naruto won't want anything to do with him.

Hope you all enjoyed!
Since I missed the update yesterday, y'all get two updates today to make up for it!

In case you didn't see the announcement, my power had gone out all night, so I wasn't able to work on the chapter. Normally I'd do it offline, but my Wattpad wasn't even loading the editing section.

678 words