Widows- Yelena

THIS IS A VERY LONG ONE. LEGIT TOOK ME LIKE A WEEK AND A BIT TO WRITE (cause i'm unmotivated and lazy but also cause it's kinda long for me)

It starts the same every year.

Like any normal day Mama and I will cook dinner together before sitting down to watch the latest episode of I Love Lucy.

That's when the windows will shake. Large vans rumbling down the tarmac road, the vibrations causing every house on the street to recognise their arrival. And each house reacts the same, the deafening screams of children and cries of their mothers and fathers echo into the silent night. On the rare occasion a gun shot may be heard, the howling merely intensifies.

Each time the windows reverberate I shuffle into Mamas lap cuddling into her chest in an attempt to block out the traumatising noises of the rest of the world. Normally she holds me tight, whispering comfort into my ear.

But this year was different.

Mama didn't wrap me in her comforting embrace and whisper reassuring words in my ear.

"Mama?" I question leaning against her in the hopes she will hold me.

A sigh falls from her mouth, her eyes a little glossy.

"It's time." She frowns leaving my side and moving to the clock above our fireplace.

Tilting my head with a confused expression I watch the woman I call my mother spin the clock hands anti clockwise twice before a click is heard.

Mama grips the edge of the clock pulling it off the wall to reveal a safe. Dialling in the code it opens to expose a pistol as well as a passport.

Picking up the pistol she clenches her jaw before placing it in the waistline of her pants moving quickly to collect the passport.

"Come here." She orders gesturing for me.

Staying put on the couch Mamas face hardens gesturing once again towards the carpet in front of her.

"Now." She narrows her eyes until I nod moving off the couch to stand before her.

Each step I ignore the urge to vomit or cry or both. My knees are wobbly, barely holding me upright as I stand before the person I call my Mama.

"They will be here soon." Mama sighs before crouching to my level and placing her hands on my shoulders.

"Whatever happens just fight ok. Fight to win and don't let anything hold you back. Your strong Skye. You are going to survive this moy rebenok (my child)"

As if on cue the sound of wood splitting causes me to shrink away into the background. Pieces of our front door crashes against the ground before thunderous footsteps make their way towards us.

Three armed men dressed in all black march into the living room moving towards Mama with purpose.

"No need to be dramatic." Mama frowns crossing her arms over her chest watching the men rather cautiously.

"Passport." One man orders holding out his hand. Mama reluctantly grips the passport in her hand  before hesitantly placing it in his palm.