Chapter 33

Kace decided to skip school for the rest of the day, not knowing if he could stand to look James Potter in the face without blasting him to smithereens.

Sitting on his and Draco's bed, he opened his mind, in search of his father. Again. Walking through the gate of his mind, Kace strolled past, feet tapping on the black ground. The abyss that surrounded him was calming, full of darkness and power. Looking down, he saw nothing but a small black box, tied neatly with red ribbon. He looked down, speaking in Parsel

"Draconis"

The box opened, revealing a large dark door, finished with a silver handle. Turning the door handle, Kace walked through a long hallway, where a large snake stood, a basilisk to be precise.

Judging from the fact that only heirs of Slytherin could see into the eyes of the mighty snake, most would be forcefully thrown out of his mind, even if they figured out how to open the box.

Nodding at the Basilisk, who bowed its head in acknowledgment. Kace saw a long hallway, lit with the light of dim red lanterns, showing several black doors, all neatly labelled.

Figuring he would do some maintenance, Kace walked to the nearest one, again speaking in Parsel to activate the lock.

"Alaxander."

The door clicked open, revealing a slightly disorganized room, although it was fairly well put-together. Filled with many parchment scrolls and modern day filing cabinets, Kace walked over to the nearest shelf, grabbing a scroll and opening it.

It revealed a memory, playing a holographic image of the day Kace first killed someone. He was around the age of 3, sitting in the dungeons, giggling as his father played with Nagini, who was hissing amusedly as she slithered around his feet.

The baby clapped his small hands, sending a wave of magic over the people, making most of the people in the dungeon shiver, but one man with grey hair, keeled over, hands rushing to his throat as he struggled to breathe. His eyes dimmed of life a few seconds later, and Tom rushed forward, joy on his features, as he gently threw the child up, laughing.

Kace watched wistfully, putting it away neatly and picking up another. This time, it was him and Draco at around 10 years old, holding hands as they splashed in a creek. From the moment they could speak, Draco and Kace had been inseparable, truly soulmates. The memory flashed to Draco giving Kace a peck on the cheek, in which the dark haired boy pinked, smiling brightly.

Kace smiled, rolling the scroll up and walking over to a filing cabinet, opening a drawer and pulling one last folder out. Revealing a piece of parchment inside, Kace grabbed one gently, looking expectantly.

It was Kace, Draco, and Pansy this time, all around the age of 13. They were in Dark arts class, giggling to each other as they looked at Lucius, who had a smile on his face. Tom had bright pink hair, and was scowling at the teens, who were in fits of laughter at that point. Bellatrix walked in, seeing her husband and snickering behind her hand. Eventually, Tom gave in, smiling and shaking his head good-naturedly.

As the image fizzled out, Kace was smiling happily, putting it back safely, closing the cabinet. He wiped a small tear from his face, missing his true family greatly.

Exiting the room after re-organizing it carefully, Kace locked the door, continuing down the hallway. He was looking around in the rooms, not looking for anything in particular, when Kace found a certain memory that stopped him in his place. It was lying on the ground, rolled up and cast in the shadows of the room.

It was when he was only 1, still in the clutches of the Potters. A small, black-haired baby wailed as a younger James Potter wiggled a Lion plush in his face. Wrinkling his nose, Kace almost closed it back up, when he noticed something in the background. A man, clad in tattered clothes, looking happily at the couple. Thinking hard and fast, the name popped into his head.

Remus Lupin.

Kace smirked to himself. Bingo.