12. ✅

"He covered you in gasoline?" Derek asked. The five of us-Lydia, Scott, Deputy Parrish, myself and Derek-stood in the middle of Derek's loft.

"It's the hair and nails, isn't it? The parts of the body that are essentially dead." Lydia said.

"Well, they should be gone."

"I was set on fire. All of me should be gone." Parrish said looking at us like we were crazy.

"Not if you're like us." I reasoned.

"Like you?"

"I don't think he's like us." Derek said looking between Scott, myself and the deputy.

"Then what is he?" Lydia asked.

"Sorry, but I have no idea."

"But you knew about Jackson and Kira." Scott spoke sounding frustrated.

"This is a little out of my experience. There might be something in the bestiary. Did you try Argent?" Derek said.

Sighing, Scott answered, "I don't know where he is."

"Okay, hold on. What's a bestiary? Actually, that's not even my first question. Just... Just tell me one thing. Are all of you like Lydia? Are you all psychic?" We looked at Deputy Parrish curiously wondering were he got that from.

"Psychic?"

"Yeah. Not exactly." I answered.

"Okay. Then what are you?"

---------
"Ahhh!!!" Shooting up in bed I screamed, terror running through my body as the flashback/nightmare came to an end. Arms wrapped around my middle startling me and pulling me closer to the warm body next to me. My ears rang loudly, my scream still echoing next to the single word the Nigitsune had muttered.

"Shh, Cheyenne calm down. You're okay. I've got you." Brett voice broke through the loud scream pulling my body out of whatever freak mode it had gone into. He held me tight rocking slightly and whispering calming words into my ears. "I've got you."

Soon I regained my voice, my tears completely coming to an end. "I'm sorry" I whispered quietly feeling terrible for waking him up.

"What happened?" he asked rubbing my arms soothingly.

"Nightmare"

-----------

"What's a Kanima?" Parrish asked after Scott to finished explaining.

"We'll get back to that. Just know that everyone like us, everyone with some kind of supernatural ability is on the dead pool." Scott answered.

"But I don't even know what I am."

"Yeah, they don't care." I said.

"How many professional assassins are we talking about?" Parrish asked.

"We're starting to lose count." Lydia answered.

"But is it still just professionals?" Scott asked

"I don't think so." I answered.

"I don't think Haigh's ever tried anything like this. I think he was taking a chance." Parrish added.

"That means anyone with the dead pool could take a chance." Derek added.

"But if Haigh had it, then who else does? How easy is it to get this thing now?"

----------
"How have you been?" Laying on Riley's bed the two of us stared up at the ceiling as we spoke.

"Okay, I guess." she answered.

"Have you and Liam fully made up?" The two had began talking again, but you could tell there was a strain on their relationship ever since Liam was bit.

"A little." Sighing she rolled over so she was facing me. "I think he's scared to be with me now."

"What do you mean?"

"I think he's scared that he'll hurt me when we are together because he still struggling with keeping control."

"He might just need some more time. Turning into a werewolf is a big thing. If you remember correctly it took me a month and a half just to start talking to you again."

"But that was because I had kept something from you. You were pissed and you didn't have control."

"Exactly just like you kept the supernatural secret from Liam. He's probably mad about it too. I mean, I remember you telling me how you and Liam made a pact to tell each other everything, and when he got bit and found out about you knowing about it and being apart of it and not telling him it probably pissed him off."

"I guess you're right" Riley sighed shifting so she was facing the ceiling again.

---------

"How did your grandmother know her?" Derek asked.

"She didn't. She found her. Because of another woman named Maddy. The woman she loved." Sighing Lydia continued, "I never met her, but I saw her name everywhere. She used to be part of a yacht racing team. There were plaques and trophies in the lake house from all the regattas she'd won."

"How did she die?" Parrish asked.

"How's not the story. It's what happened right before. My grandmother, Lorraine, used to work in San Francisco for IBM. She was there on a weekend, catching up on work. She started hearing this sound... Like rain. But when she looked out the windows...All she saw was blue sky." Lydia spoke looking out the window in the loft.

"But she kept hearing the rain?" I asked.

"And it just kept getting louder. Rain and thunder cracking like gunshots in her head. So loud. She finally just screamed."

"Like a Banshee." Derek stated.

"She called Maddy who was planning on taking one of the boats out on the lake. But Maddy said that the sun was shining there too. So Lorraine didn't say anything."

"There was an accident?"

Nodding, Lydia continued, "It took them four days to find Maddy's body. And then it took decades to figure out how Lorraine knew. She started with parapsychologists, like the PhD in their name made it more scientific. They built the study in the lake house according to every pseudoscientific theory they could find. None of it worked. So then she started going to more extreme occult. Things like mediums and psychics All of them were failures. Until she found Meredith. They found her in Eichen House. This fragile girl who didn't understand the things she heard. They brought her to the study. And they almost killed her. She was hospitalized for over a year. She... never really recovered. My grandmother drove her insane, I drove her to suicide. And all she ever wanted to do was help. My grandmother created the code for the dead pool. They think she's the Banshee who put the names out in the first place. She left me this message in the same code."

"But she didn't leave a cipher key, did she?" Scott asked roaming around Derek's loft as we listened to the story.

"Careful with that." Derek said to Scott who was holding a gun.

"I thought you didn't like guns. Does this have something to do with your eyes?" Scott asked.

"My eyes, my strength, the healing... All of it." Derek answered.

"Gone?" I asked.

"Whatever Kate did to me, it's still happening." Derek said.

"If the dead pool really was made by a Banshee then there's something else that you should know about. Your name broke the third list. It was a cipher key." Turning sharply I looked at Scott shocked. They hadn't told me that tidbit of information.

"And the two other keys were Allison and Aiden." Derek stated.

"And I... I don't want to make you nervous, but it kind of feels like there might be a pattern there, doesn't it? Allison, Aiden... You."

"Names picked by a Banshee."

"It... It could mean that you're in danger. " Scott said.

"Scott, Banshees don't predict danger. They predict death."