08. ✅

"Have you ever done something and regretted it later?" I asked Brett as we laid in the lacrosse field, staring up at the cloudly sky.

I felt him tense next to me before he responded, "yeah, what do you regret?"

"I regret being mad at my mom and trying my hardest to avoid her." I said softly, turning my head So I could look at Brett.

"When was this?"

"A while back. I was mad at her for knowing what was wrong with Scott and not helping me. I wanted nothing to do with her or Scott because both of them just ignored me and watched as I changed. I was so mad at her and angry. I wanted to never see her again. God I was so mad." Shaking my head I looked back up at the sky." And now, I can barely remember why I was mad at her. But I can still remember all the horrible things I said to her in anger."

"Have you apologized to her and talked to her?"

"I did the other day. When she got off her shift, I just climbed into her bed and curled up next to her. I cried and told her I was sorry, and so much more."

"I'm such a terrible daughter" I cried, curling tighter into moms side. "I'm so sorry mom. I really didn't mean any of those things I said. I know you and Scott were just trying to protect me. I was just angry."

"I know hunny, I know."

That night I slept in mom's bed, curled up tight into her side like I used to when dad had first left. I don't care how old I was I will always need and want my mom's comfort.

"So are you guys good?" He asked.

"Our relationship has definitely improved and is better than mine and Scott's." I said, smiling slightly. "I don't know why but I feel like fixing mine and Scott's relationship is going to be harder."

"Have you forgiven him?"

"That's the thing, I don't think I can. At least not yet." Shaking my head, I fought off a yawn. "Its just we were so close, he was my rock and best friend next to Riley, and he just dumped me like I was nothing. I think that's what hurt more than him lying to me."

"That's understandable, " Brett answered.

"I still feel bad though," I added resting my head on his shoulder, I listened to his heartbeat which was putting me to sleep.

"I think you will until you forgive him."

--------------------

Standing in the courtyard by the bus ramp waiting with Riley, we watched as the bus pulled up and came to a stop before the doors opened and Devenford prep lacrosse players stepped out. "That's Brett," I spoke quietly pointing to the brunette standing in the very front just oozing cockiness.

"Damn girl," Riley breathed out. "That boy is fine. He's a freshman?"

"Sophomore," grinning at my best friend I looked back at Brett before pushing my way through the crowd to go to him.

"Liam, wait. What, no, no, no, no." Turning to face Mason, I found Liam and Mason pushing their way to the Devenford prep students. The former radiating anger.

"Brett!" Liam shouted

" Ah, here we go." I watched as Brett changed into a person I've never seen before, cocky and angry.

I mean the cocky part wasnt exactly new. But the way he was displaying it now. That was new.

"I just wanted to say" Liam was breathing heavily, before he stuck his hand out in a truce like manner. "Have a good game." All the boys of Devenford prep laughed at him.