chapter eighteen; chloe bourgeois.

tell me baby,
    why do you seem so blue?

(mari's pov)
  — monday —
          —9:34 am—

I sit at my desk, I smile thinking about yesterday. I'm glad Felix and I can be friends now.

I highlight some notes for Felix to say at his next meeting. I have my AirPods in, listening to some classical study music I used to use in high school.

Usually my workday, I don't typically get interrupted.

Until today.

"Hello! Hello! Ms Desk lady!" I hear an obnoxious voice yell through my music.

I look up and see a familiar blonde, I sigh.

"Hello, Ms. Bourgeois. If you would like to see Felix, please make an appointment and come back that scheduled date." I say, dropping my highlighter on top of the papers.

"Excuse MOI?" She says, gasping.

"Yes, even you." I say, nearly rolling my eyes.

"Well, as you know DUPAIN-CHENG," she says, yelling at me.

How embarrassing for me.

"I happen TO KNOW, FELIX AGRESTE!" she says, putting her hand on her chest, and pointing at his office.

"Well, unless you're his wife. I am afraid I cannot let you enter his office." I say, smirking.

She rolls her eyes, and walks past me.

I can't stop her.

She rushes to the door and throws it open, basically screaming.

"FELI-KINS!" she says, running over to his desk.

He looks well-rested today, but he still had stacks of papers to work on.

I stand in the doorway, he looks at me. I shrug, "Chloe Bourgeois! Leave this office now!" I say, raising my tone.

She ignores me, Felix looks at her, and fakes a smile. "Chloe. It's been a few years." He says, barely looking excited.

"It has! I missed you!" she says, leaning in for a hug, but getting rejected.

"Well, i'm assuming you've seen Marinette as well?" he says, looking at me.

I stand up straight, "Yep! Hi Chloe!" I say, faking excitement.

"Oh.. Yeah, Marinette." she says, also obviously faking her excitement.

"Yep, my girlfriend." Felix says, smiling.

Her face practically turns into a huge tomato.

Then, she starts laughing crazily. "Feli-KINS!" she says, still giggling. "You are such a jokester!" she says, hitting his shoulder.

"I'm not joking." he says, picking up an article.

He still has that?

"No way! Dupain-Cheng cannot dare steal you Feli-KINS! She doesn't deserve it! I do!" she says, pointing at me.

My face gets hot, awkward..

Felix just stared at me, and then her, then me again.

"Chloe, now is not a good time." he says, leaning against his desk. "Come back another time." he says, crossing his arms.

"Yeah, maybe make an appointment." I say, trying not to laugh.

Felix smirks, while Chloe turns around, speed-walking out. "Ridiculous, UTTERLY RIDICULOUS!" I could hear her yelling.

"Well, what a turn of events." Felix says, he stands up straight and walks back to his desk.

"Definitely, some great entertainment." I say, "Alright, well. Time to get some work done!" I say, turning quickly to the door.

—13:02–

I sit at my desk, sipping coffee. My coffee is sweet and delicious.

"Hey, Mari." I hear a voice say, I quickly whip my head up.

"Hey, Feli-kins!" I say, in a mocking voice.

"Haha very funny." he says, staring me down. "My father needs to discuss some subject with us." he says.

"Now?" I say, nearly flying out of my seat.

"At 13:15." he says, checking his watch.

"That's in 13 minutes!" I exclaim.

"I know," he says, rolling his eyes.

Rude.

"Let's go! Now! I can't be late!" I say, hopping out of my seat.

He holds his hand out, "Too early." he says. He goes to his office.

—13:12–
"Let's go!" I say, running towards the elevator.

Felix runs after me, I hear his fancy dress shoes click on the floor.

I click the up button, anxiety running throughout my body.

I take a deep breath as the elevator dings, Felix and I stepping into the elevator.

I reach my hand out for the floor to Gabriel's office. Felix also reaches out as well, our hands collide.

"Sorry." I say, jerking my hand back. He smiles politely and we stand up straight in the elevator.

Nerves flowing from my hands to my whole body.

(ding)

We step out of the elevator, I count the clicks of my heels on the shiny marble floors.

Felix bumps my shoulder, I look up. I fix my posture, and see the big office doors.

We both stop for a second, Felix gently knocking.

"Come in."

We walk into the huge office, "Hello father." Felix says, sounding serious.

Phew, glad he isn't my father.

"Hello son, and hello Ms. Dupain-Cheng." he says, clicking his pen.

"Hello, sir." I say, smiling softly.

"I have news for you son, I got a call from my partners that live in California! They need someone from Gabriel Agreste Inc." he says, "Unfortunately, I cannot attend the meeting, so I am sending you to L.A."

"Okay father, one question." Felix says. Gabriel looks confused.

"Yes?" he says, putting down the pen.

"Why did you request Marinette to come with me to your office?" Felix says, looking down at me.

"Well, I thought it was obvious." Gabriel sighs, "I was hoping Marinette would accompany you."
~~