chapter three; red wine

do you read my interviews? or do you skip my avenue?
~~
(marinette's pov)
~tom and sabine boulangerie patisserie~

I decide to go my parents bakery, since i've been an emotional wreck all day, I think I needed a pastry and a hug.. When I walk through the door, the smell of pastries surrounds me, smelling sweet and so amazing. "Mom! Dad! I'm home!" I shout out.

"Marinette!" my mother comes up and engulfs me in a huge hug. "Tom come down here! Your daughter is here!" my mom says after pulling away from the hug. I suddenly hear my father's heavy footsteps come running down the stairs. "Marinette! My little muffin!" I get lifted up into the air by my father and spun into circles.

"Hi papa! Can you put me down now?" I say, only because he's squeezing the life out of me. When he puts me down, I smooth down my skirt. "Marinette, would you like some raspberry macaroons?" my mom offers to me, "Yes maman, I think that's all I want right now." I say, taking some out of the display shelf.

I walk upstairs to my old home, the navy blue carpet takes me back to my teen years when I used to sneak down to the bakery at night, the pretty windows, the front door. When I walk into my house, my pictures were everywhere, I looked around and saw my high school prom, my school pictures, and my graduation photos. I've always been an only child, so my parents always had their main focus on me.

I look up and see the attic entry, my old room. I sigh, as I walk over to the living room and plop onto the couch. "Marinette how did your interview go?" my mom asks, "Pretty smoothly," I say before taking a huge breath "Except now I have a job as THE Felix Agreste's secretary! It's a disaster maman, I mean, what if I trip and fall with Felix's coffee, or what if I stutter! He's never going to take me seriously maman!" I start ranting to her. She just looks over to my dad and he shrugs and backs away.

My mom just brings me a cup of coffee and sits down next to me, "Marinette, you're the smartest, most hardworking girl I have ever met in my whole life, you need to have faith in yourself and have courage! You're going to be the best secretary in the whole company!" my mom says, trying to help me stay calm. I take a sip of my coffee and relax.
~~
(felix pov)
~Felix's Penthouse~

I unlock my front door and throw my keys onto the side table next to my entryway. I loosen my tie and hang it up neatly, I sit on my bed with a long sigh.

*ring ring ring*

My business phone rings in my pocket, it's my father. "Yes father?" I say as I pick up the phone. "Felix. Nathalie has informed me you're not pleased with the whole secretary situation. Felix, if you want to continue working at my company, you will do as I say." he says firmly on the phone. "Yes father. I understand." I say with a sour face. "Good. Alright, goodbye Felix." he says and immediately hangs up the phone.

I throw my phone onto my bed, and get up and head to my kitchen. I open a new red wine bottle and pour a little into a glass and drink it while leaning onto my white countertop. I walk into my living room, and stare out my windows.

The view of the city at night puts my mind at ease, the lights, the stars. I take a deep breath and a sip of wine.

I see the familiar shade of pink curtains that are in view of my penthouse, usually the lights are on all the time. I wonder if whoever lives there is always working like me.

I turn around and pick up "Jane Eyre" off my bookshelf, I take a seat on my leather couch and cross my leg over my knee and start reading.
~~