50 | 𝐈 𝐃𝐢𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐔𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝

𝙱𝚄𝙲𝙺𝚈 𝙱𝙰𝚁𝙽𝙴𝚂
2016, 𝚊𝚐𝚎 𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚎𝚝𝚢-𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝

Ever since Steve and I left in the quinjet, I hadn't been able to stop thinking of her.

How was she? Where was she? Was she alive? I asked myself over and over, praying to anyone that she was alright. I didn't understand why these terrible things had to keep happening to her. She didn't deserve any of it.

After a while, Steve and I finally ended up in the Siberian lab that Alessia had destroyed years ago. Not shockingly, it was rebuilt, just how it had been years before.

Even thinking of her name made me grasp my pocket, where a very special object lay hidden from view. The object was a ring, but not like the kind I gave her for her birthday.

It was a wedding ring, for I hoped to someday soon be able to propose to her. I had never loved like this before, and I feared that the way things were going, if I didn't make her my wife soon, we would be gone before I had the chance.

That is, if she said yes.

Steve and I, back in action, carefully walked through the Siberian snow and the facility, guns and shields raised. It reminded me of the old days, back in the forties. I sometimes wish that Steve and I had more time together when we were young, but I wouldn't have met Alessia. Life wouldn't have truly lived, if I hadn't known the girl.

We exited an elevator, prepared to shoot everytime we walked around a corner. A loud rumbling sound made Steve and I whip around, armed and ready to face the threat, whatever it was.

The door creaked, and Steve spoke. "You ready?" He asked, because we both thought it was the doctor who had caused this whole mess.

"Yeah." I answered, ready to kill the man, for being the reason my girl didn't get to enjoy her birthday.

The doors were pushed all the way open, and the person who exited them was not who we expected it to be. Iron Man, Tony Stark, whatever, sauntered out, lowering his helmet.

He walked towards us, and we were still aimed at him, not sure if he was a threat. "You seem a little defensive." Stark said, looking around the facilty.

Steve walked to meet him, shield still raised. "It's been a long day." He said, to which I shrugged. He's not wrong.

Stark continued making his way towards us. "At ease, Soldier. I'm not currently after you." He said, but I didn't lower my gun.

"Then why are you here?" Steve asked so I didn't have to.

The man continued looking around, as if on the lookout. "Could be your story's not so crazy. Maybe." He said, and I tensed. "Ross has no idea I'm here. I'd like to keep it that way. Otherwise, I gotta arrest myself." Stark said, still on the move towards Steve.

I followed his moments with my gun, not trusting him at all, but it seemed like Steve did. "Well, that sounds like a lot of paperwork." He said, making Tony scoff, before he continued. "It's good to see you, Tony."

Is it? Is it really?

"You too, Cap." Stark replied, before turning his attention over to me. "Hey, Manchurian Candidate, you're killing me. There's a truce here. You can drop..." He started, and Steve nodded, so I reluctantly lowered the gun. I knew what the Manchurian Candidate was, because Alessia had told me. She didn't even realize that we were so similar, until she was done with the explanation. She was so panicked, and it was really cute.