51 | 𝐒𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐝𝐚𝐲

𝙾𝙼𝙽𝙸𝙲𝙸𝙴𝙽𝚃
2016

As soon as Alessia passed out from pain, famine, and exhaustion, Bucky Barnes ignored the burning pain it caused, and ripped off the headgear on her head, throwing it to the floor of the quinjet. He placed his head gingerly on Alessia's sensitive chest, listening for a heartbeat. It was faint, but it was still there. But if Alessia wasn't given proper care soon, she would likely be gone.

So, Steve set the quinjet to the location they were given. T'challa, of Wakanda, approached Steve and Bucky as the pair limped to the jet, finishing their brawl with Tony Stark. The new king apologized profously, and offered them sanctuary in his country. Having no where else to go, Steve and Bucky accepted, but not before rescuing the others from The Raft, including Alessia.

They were going to take her to Wakanda, where her and Bucky would be safe from governments all over the world. They were taking a big chance on transporting her, as Alessia was practically dead. When Bucky saw her, time stopped. He expected her to run up and hug him, tell him she loved him, but she didn't. Instead, her cold, limp body was carried by Steve, who was clearly fighting back tears.

No one knew exactly what had happened to her while in custody. Sam explained what he knew to Steve, but he wasn't in the room where it happened. It made Bucky's blood boil, just thinking about everything they did to her. He wanted to kill Ross, but he couldn't, because his primary concern was making sure Alessia lived through the quinjet ride.

"How is she?" Steve asked after awhile.

Bucky shrugged.

"She'll be okay, Buck. She's here for you. She's here for everyone." The Captain said, and Bucky had to agree.

"She shouldn't have to be." He said, and the men were silent.

Alessia didn't wake up during the trip, which took about six hours. Quinjets were extremely fast, compared to the average plane. She stirred every once in awhile, as if fighting off imaginary demons, ones that existed only in her mind. Bucky wished more than anything that he could take all her pain away from her, from them both, but life didn't work like that.

So there he sat, cradling Alessia, who was wrapped in a blanket, hoping to see the light in the odd eyes he had come to love. While he did, his thoughts drifted to the small ring that hadn't left his pocket. Bucky had it made when he made Alessia's birthday ring, altough this was completely different. It was golden, with tiny gems on either side of a larger one. It was simple, but Bucky knew that Alessia would love it because it was simple.

He hoped that someday, he could call Alessia his wife. Even if Bucky had everything in the world, he could never be a father, because the girl he loved could not have children. he didn't blame her, of course, but that didn't stop the hole in his heart. Bucky knew that Alessia wanted to be a mother, and he was broken hearted that he couldn't give her what she wanted, but life is cruel.

As Bucky sat, waiting for their arival into Wakanda, he noticed Alessia's breathing slowing down, and her chest barely moved. She started gasping for breath, startling Bucky.

Steve seemed to notice too, and he turned around and faced the duo from the cockpit, before instructing Bucky. "Start pounding on her chest, gently. We're almost there, just keep trying to get her to breath." The Captain said, and Bucky nodded vigourosly.

Bucky took Alessia off of his lap, placing her on the seats, while he stood above the girl, gently pressing his one hand onto her chest, trying to get oxygen into her lungs. The girl was still frighteningly cold, her fingertips turning a soft blue. Bucky didn't know what it meant, but he knew it wasn't good.