Chapter 51: Nightmares

"Mum, no!" I cried, seeing her pointing a gun at dad.

"He doesn't care about you, he never has." She Said, before looking at me. "You're coming back with me, forever.

My eye widened as she pulled the trigger.

I jumped awake, hearing the sound of a gunshot echo through my head. I swallowed back the lump In my throat, quickly wiping my tears with my hand.

It was only a nightmare. Again.

I shakily reached for my phone. I wondered if Ryan was awake. I looked at the time. It was past midnight, so it was a possibility.

Believe me, I would go and tell Chris, but he thought that I had stopped having them since our talk all those days ago. I didn't want him to worry, so I pretending that I hadn't been having nightmares anymore. He'd had enough stress lately, he didn't need more.

I quickly texted Ryan, since he already knew about them and everything.

Ryan, I've had a nightmare.

I stared at my phone for a few minutes, before I saw that he was typing.

Ryan: are you okay??

I typed back an answer. A little anxious, but I'm okay.

Ryan: do you need to talk?

I bit my lip, thinking for a moment.

Finally, I texted him back. Yes.

Just a moment later, my phone began to ring, and I pressed answer, bringing it to my ear.

"Hey, Aaliyah." He Said softly. "How are you doing?"

I swallowed, before sighing as tears filled my eyes. "I can't stop having nightmares.." I mumbled. "They're all about my mum hurting dad.."

"Hey...she can't hurt you anymore." He said gently. "She's gone."

"It was me! I'm a murderer!" I cried.

"What?" He asked.

"I killed her.." I sobbed. "And now she's gone...and it's all my.."

"Aaliyah, Listen." He interrupted me. "She was a bad person. You're not a murderer. You did what you had to do to save your dad, and that, that makes you brave."

I sniffled a little, rubbing my eyes.

"Please, don't say things like that about yourself." He said. "You're amazing, okay?"

I felt a small smile creep up on my face, and I nodded. "Okay.."

"Now, about your nightmares.." he said. "I know this is none of my business, but have you told your dad?"

I bit my lip. "I'm...kind of pretending they've stopped.." I Said. "He's has a lot of stress put on him lately. I don't want to give him any more."

"Aaliyah, that's not good." He said. "I'm sure Chris would want to know if something was wrong, and It wouldn't put any more stress on him. I know he'd want to help you."

I sighed. "I'm just...scared to tell him." I Said. "Things are good now. I shouldn't be having nightmares."

"You've been through a lot." He said. "All those bad memories don't just go away, as sad as it is. You should tell your dad."

I nodded. "Okay." I mumbled. "Thanks for talking with me, Ryan."

"No problem." He said. "I promise, everything will be okay."

I smiled a little "Okay." I Said. "Bye, Ryan."

"Bye, Aaliyah." He said. "Get some sleep, okay?"

"I'll try," I Said. "You, too."

He chuckled a little. "I'll try, too." He said. "Bye."

"Bye." I Said again, before hanging up.

I put my phone down on my nightstand, before I saw the door open.

Chris peeked in. "Hey, sweetie." He said. "I thought I heard something, are you okay?"

I looked down. "Yeah."

He smiled at me. "Okay, just checking."

He began to leave, and I bit my lip.

I should listen to Ryan and tell him.

"Actually," I Said, and he stopped. "Can we...talk?"

"Oh, sure." He said, stepping into my room. He came over and sat down on the bed beside me, looking at me curiously. "Is everything okay?"

I looked down, brushing my hair behind my ear. "I've been meaning to tell you.." I mumbled. "My nightmares never went away. I keep having them.."

"Oh, Aaliyah.." he said softly, a look of concern on his face. "Why didn't you tell me?"

I sighed. "You've had a lot of stress ever since I came into your life." I Said. "I didn't want to give you more."

"Aaliyah, don't say that.." he said, reaching up and running his hand through my hair. "I want you to always tell me If something's troubling you. That way we can make it better."

"Okay." I nodded. "Speaking of making it better...Jessica gave me an idea."

"What is it?" He asked.

"She has anxiety. She goes to therapy for it." I Said. "She said it's really helped."

"Would you like to go to therapy?" He asked.

I bit my lip. "I mean...I don't know.." I mumbled. "I don't want to put more on your plate than there already is."

"If you think it would help you," he said. "All I care about is making you feel better."

I looked up into his blue eyes, biting my lip. "Really?"

He gave me a small smile, taking my hands in his. "Of course." He said. "Whatever you think would help, I want to do it for you."

I smiled a little, and he leaned in, kissing me on the cheek. "We can talk about it in the morning." He said. "And you should try and sleep. I promise, you're safe."

I nodded a little. "I know." I Said. "I love you, dad."

He kissed me on the forehead. "I love you too, sweetheart."

He stood up, beginning to leave the room.

I was still feeling a bit nervous, so I decided to stop him. "Dad?"

He turned around, and I looked down, playing with my hair a little. "Can I come sleep with you?"

He smiled softly, nodding. "Of course."

I smiled, standing up and grabbing my pillow from the bed, before I followed Chris into his bedroom. We both climbed into bed, and he made sure I was comfy before he shut off the lights.

I stared up at the ceiling, listening to his calm breathing to help me fall asleep.

"Goodnight, Aaliyah." He whispered to me, causing me to smile a little.

"Goodnight, Dad."