Chapter 20: Court

That night, after the concert ended, Chris was clearly stressed, but trying to hide it from me.

He had to go to court tomorrow, to find out if I had to go back to my mom. I wanted to testify, but he was scared to let me.

But I wanted to anyway.

All I would have to do is tell the judge privately everything that she did to me.

Then, Jonny would drive me back to the bus, where I would stay.

Thankfully, she agreed to do court In the city we were in, so we wouldn't have to travel.

Chris came and opened up the curtain to my bunk, running his hand through my hair.

"Aaliyah?" He Asked quietly.

I turned around. "Yeah?"

"I promise, I'll try my hardest tomorrow." He said.

I nodded. "Thank you, Dad."

He smiled weakly. "Goodnight, Aaliyah."

"Goodnight."

He kissed me on the forehead, then closed my curtain.

He climbed in his bed, and I heard the soothing guitar begin to play again.

"Oh morning come bursting the clouds, amen. Lift off this blindfold, let me see again. Bring back the water, let your ships roll in. In my heart she left a hole.."

I soon felt myself drift to sleep, calmed by Chris's singing.

The next day, I sat nervously in the waiting room, by myself.

They wouldn't let me be with Chris, because it was a rule they had. They thought he'd tell me what to say or something.

Jonny was coming to pick me up in an hour, and Chris was somewhere in the courthouse, awaiting the judge to get info from me so they could start.

I was so nervous, and so scared. I needed Chris. I needed a hug from him. I needed him to look at me with his ocean-like eyes and tell me it would be okay.

Whatever I said today could determine whether or not I had to see my evil mother again.

What if I said the wrong thing?

I know I just had to tell the truth, but I was so scared I would mess up, or leave something out.

I was so scared.

Then the judge came out.

She stepped over to me. "Aaliyah White?"

I cleared my throat. "Martin." I mumbled.

She nodded. "Aaliyah Martin." She Said. "You were born Aaliyah White, correct?"

I nodded.

"Will you come with me?"

I nodded again, standing.

I followed her into her office, and she motioned for me to sit down at her desk.

I sat down, and she sat on the opposite side of me.

"I need to ask you some questions." She Said.

"Okay." I Said, beginning to fidget anxiously.

"Can you tell me about your life? Growing up?"

I took a deep breath, nodding.

"Growing up, my mom and I never had a home. Everything I owned had been given to me by her countless boyfriends that only lasted a few nights." I Said. "We lived in motels my entire life. Then she got a boyfriend, and he stuck around for a few years."

I swallowed back tears. "T-the two of them would beat me every day. I was forced to grow up. Then, one day a few years ago, she murdered him in front of me."

"Then what?"

"I went to live with my aunt, who was just as abusive as her sister." I mumbled. "Not physically, usually, but in other ways. Then I found out that Chris was my dad.."

"Are you happy with Chris?"

Tears began to run down my face. "I feel loved." I Said, my voice breaking. "I'm happy. And he doesn't hurt me. He loves me."

"Did he tell you to say that?" She Asked. "Why are you crying?"

"Of course he didn't tell me to say that!" I accidentally shouted. "I l-love Chris! He's the best person I've ever had in my life! If I lost him, I-I don't know what I'd do!"

She nodded, and I looked down.

"What things do you and Chris do together?" She Asked.

"He takes me out for ice cream a lot." I laughed a little. "He sings to me every night. He never leaves me behind like my mum used to. He hugs me. Sometimes we sing together."

She smiled a bit, nodding. "Sounds like your dad is fun."

"He is." I Said.

"That's all for now." She Said. "I heard that your dad's friend is coming to get you."

I nodded.

"Are his friends nice?" She Asked.

I nodded. "They treat me like family." I Said. "Especially Guy. We've bonded quite a bit over the past few weeks."

"That's fun." She Said, nodding. "I'll call you if I need you again, okay?"

I nodded again.

When I left the room, I stepped outside, and Jonny was waiting for me.

I got in the passenger seat of the car, my anxiety kicking in again.

Jonny looked at me, concerned. "Are you okay?"

"I-I don't know.." I mumbled. "She seemed to think that Chris was a good guy...will things be okay?"

He reached over, patting me on the back. "Hey, Everything will work out." He said, nodding. "Chris is the best dad in the world. I'm sure the judge knows that."

I took a deep breath. "You're right.." I Said. "Everything will be okay."