Chapter 4: Paradise

During the drive to Chris's house, I dozed off, and began to have a nightmare. I had them a lot, but that didn't make them any less scary. My nightmares are always about my mom, killing her boyfriend, and then coming for me.

I always wake up before she can catch me, but this time, she was incredibly close.

"Aaliyah!" I heard.

"Please...no.." I whimpered. "Please, don't hurt me.."

"Aaliyah, wake up."

Just as mom was about to reach me, I jumped awake, seeing Chris next to me.

"Oh...Chris.." I mumbled.

"Are you okay?" He asked, his blue eyes full of worry.

"Yeah...just a nightmare.."

"Oh...we're home." He said, before smiling a bit.

"Yay!" I Said, stretching.

We both got out of the car, and I looked up at the house.

"Your new home." Chris Said, looking down at me and smiling.

"I can't wait!" I Said.

"Race you!" He exclaimed, taking off towards the house.

"Hey, no fair!" I exclaimed, running after him.

He reached the house and unlocked the door as I ran up.

"Why can you run so fast?" I Asked, out of breath.

He shrugged, opening the door.

I stepped inside and looked around, and he came in after me. I looked around a little, not really sure what to do.

He gave me a gentle push into the house.

"This is your home, Aaliyah." He said. "You can do whatever you want."

I looked back at him and smiled. "Can I look around?"

"Of course you can." He nodded, and I put my backpack on the floor.

I looked around the living room, then looked up at the stairs.

"Your room is up there." He said. "I...got you a few things."

I went upstairs and he followed behind me with my bag. I stepped into the room he motioned for me to go in, a large smile growing on my face.

"You got me a few things?" I Asked, looking back at him.

"Is it too much?" He asked, biting his lip.

"No...it's great!" I Said, giving him a hug, before running in. I jumped on the bed and looked around. "This...is the most I've ever had before."

"You deserve it." He smiled, before looking up at the clock. "It's getting late. I'll go make dinner. Call if you need anything, okay?"

"Okay." I nodded.

He smiled at me once more, then left, as I looked around the room again, spotting a rainbow CD player sitting on the dresser.

I unzipped my backpack and pulled out my Mylo Xyloto CD out. I went over and put it in the CD player, skipping to Paradise.

It started playing, and I opened the curtains, gazing out the window.

The backyard was huge, and the view from here was beautiful.

The Song got to the chorus, and I began to sing along.

I looked out the window for a while, and kept repeating Paradise over and over again. Paradise. That's where It felt like I was.

"Para, Para, Paradise." I sang as it got to the chorus, then was startled by someone else singing along.

I turned around, and Chris was standing in the doorway, smiling.

"I...um.." I stuttered, stopping the CD and taking it out.

"Sorry for startling you." He said. "Dinner's Ready."

"Oh." I Said. I put the CD back in its case and stuck it on the dresser, before following Chris downstairs.

He pulled out a chair for me, and I sat down at the table. He got me a plate and filled it with food, then set it down in front of me.

I stared at it in awe.

"Is that okay?" He Asked. "I can make something else if it's not."

"That's...great." I Said. "I've never had this much to eat before.."

He got himself a plate and sat across from me. "In that case, eat up." He said, then took a bite of his own food.

As we ate, I tried not to act awkward, but I was wondering if he had heard me singing.

Would he think that I was one of those fans that fangirled a lot and put me up for adoption?

I just really enjoyed his music. I shouldn't have listened to it here. I might have just blown it.

He probably hates me, just like my mom, and my aunt.

"Aaliyah, Are you okay?" Chris Asked, looking at me curiously.

I broke into tears. "I'm sorry.." I sobbed.

He immediately got out of his chair and came and wrapped his arms around me.

"You have nothing to be sorry for.." he cooed.

"Yes I do.." I Said, sniffling.

"Well, what's that?" He Asked.

"I...I listened to your music...you probably think I'm just a fan..." I Said.

"Aaliyah...why would I think that?" He asked. "You can like Coldplay."

"You've really gotten me through a lot.." I Said. "But I'm not like a fangirl or something...I actually know nothing about you."

"I mean, I'm your dad." He said, "I'm sure you'll find out everything about me, because I'll probably talk you to death."

I laughed a little.

"Ah, that's better." He said. "You've got a beautiful smile."

"I think that's because I got it from you."

He smiled. "But it's your unique smile." He said. "Hey, do you wanna see my studio?"

"Sure!" I exclaimed.

He crouched down. "Hop on my back."

"Okay.." I Said.

I climbed onto his back and wrapped my arms around him, and he stood up.

"Are you holding on?" He asked. "I don't wanna drop you."

"Yep!" I Said.

"Alright, To The studio!"

He carried me down a flight of stairs to the basement, where his studio was. He set me down and I looked around.

"Woah..." I Said.

There were guitars, mics, and instruments everywhere. It was a music lover's heaven.

"This is amazing.." I Said.

He smiled and scratched his neck. "I guess I've worked up a collection." He said.

"Can we...play something?" I Asked hesitantly.

His smiled grew bigger, and he nodded.