Chapter 21: Real

After we Jonny and I went back to the bus, the band was all ready to make me feel less anxious, by telling me jokes, putting on a movie, and playing games with me.

Guy and I talked through most of the movie, as I told him about everything that I told the judge.

He agreed with me that she knew Chris was a good guy, and that everything would work out.

I was still anxious about Chris coming back, however, as anyone would be in this situation.

I just hoped everything would go well.

It was after dinner, and Chris still hadn't come back, so The boys made me mac and cheese, which they nearly burned ten times.

I was sitting on the couch after I ate, playing Monopoly with Will, Jonny, and Guy. I would be having fun, except, I was continually getting in jail.

Landing on the jail spot yet again, I sighed. "I give up!"

The boys laughed.

"I would bail you out, But.." Will Said. "I would rather win.."

"That's just cruel." I Said, fake pouting.

"Can't be as cruel as what you do to get in prison." He shrugged.

I pretended to be offended. "I, sir, am completely innocent!"

"The law doesn't lie."

Suddenly, the door opened, and all of the boys stood up, walking over to Chris.

I stood as well, watching as Chris hugged Jonny.

At first I thought he was hugging him because he was happy.

I soon found out that it was the complete opposite.

My heart sunk as Chris broke down, sobbing loudly.

No. This couldn't be happening.

My eyes began to fill with tears, and Guy looked over at me, his eyes also wet.

"N-no.." I stuttered. "W-What is it?"

I knew very well what it was. I just couldn't wrap my head around it.

"I-I'm Sorry.." Chris sobbed, still hugging Jonny tightly. "I'm so sorry, Aaliyah.."

"No.." I Said, tears beginning to stream down my face. "No!"

Guy came over, reaching out to hug me.

I stepped back, shaking my head. I turned, running for the door.

"Aaliyah!" Guy called.

I ran outside, running as far as my feet could carry me. I finally collapsed on a sidewalk, sobbing loudly.

I couldn't go back. I couldn't leave Chris.

I cried for a long time, just there on the sidewalk, before getting to my feet. I looked around, rubbing my eyes.

An idea popped into my head, and in my heartbroken state, I began to go with it.

I walked through the city, in the dark, and on my own.

If I could get away, I wouldn't have to go back to my mom, right?

Except, I began crying again, stoping and sitting on the curb. I covered my face with my hands, crying harder than before.

I needed Chris. I needed my dad.

Why didn't he win? Why didn't he win against her?

I didn't understand.

So I just sat, sobbing my heart, or what was left of it, out.

Suddenly, I felt a pair of arms around me, and began crying harder.

"I'm so sorry.." he repeated, his voice barely audible through his crying.

"Dad, I cant go back with her!" I cried, gripping onto him tightly. "I can't! I-I'll kill myself!"

"Aaliyah, please don't.." he pleaded, holding my face in his hands. "Please, I can't lose you.."

"I need you.." I whimpered "I need you, dad.."

He hugged me tightly, burying his face in my hair as he cried.

"Dad.." I whimpered again. "D-don't make me go back.."

Suddenly, there were bright lights, and Will, Jonny, and Guy got out of a car.

They came over, surrounding us.

Jonny leaned down, patting Chris on the shoulder. "Let's go back to the bus.." he said quietly.

Chris nodded a bit, standing.

He held me in his arms as we walked to the car, and on the entire way back to the bus.

Turns out, I had walked really far. I wondered how Chris even found me.

"Dad..?"

Chris looked down at me, his typically happy eyes filled with tears and red.

"W-Why..?" I started, but my voice cut out a bit.

He knew what I meant, though. He sniffled. "Y-your mum cried. She told them she had changed. Then she told them that I had no business being in your life. She used my being a celebrity against me." He said, tears filling his eyes again. "They granted her full custody, believing every word of what she said."

I swallowed, tears falling down my cheeks. "I don't wanna go back.."

I hugged tightly, and tears began streaming down his cheeks as well. "I don't want you to go back, either.." he said, his voice breaking. "I-I love you, Aaliyah...my beautiful daughter.."

It was hard for me to speak while crying this hard, but I sobbed out an 'I love you.'

This was real.

I was leaving.