Chapter 16: Bad News

Later, I got to talk to Rihanna, just me and her. It was a lot of fun, and she was super nice. I sang a little bit for her, and she said she really loved my voice and that she couldn't wait to hear me sing Princess Of China. After that, she left, and it was time for dinner.

We didn't eat much, just some microwave ramen. Chris was kind of sad he didn't get to make one of his 'gourmet' meals, but after tasting the ramen, he was happy.

That night, I laid up in my bunk, and Chris tucked me in.

"Comfy?" He asked.

"Yep." I Said, turning myself to face him.

"Did you have a good day?" He asked.

I nodded.

"Rihanna said that she loved meeting you." He smiled.

"She was really nice." I Said, laying my head down on my pillow. "Dad?"

"Yeah, sweetie?"

"I'm really happy." I mumbled.

He ran his hand through my hair. "So am I."

He kissed me on the forehead, then crawled into his bunk, which was below mine.

I suddenly heard guitar playing, and smiled.

"Like a river to a raindrop, I lost a friend. My drunken as a Daniel in a lion's den. And tonight I know it all has to begin again, so whatever you do, don't let go. And if we could float away, fly up to the surface and just start again, and left off before trouble just erodes us in the rain, just erodes is in the rain, just erodes us, and see roses in the rain.."

Th next morning, I awoke as sunlight poured through the small window in the bunk area. I climbed down from my bed, and opened the curtain for Chris's bed a bit.

However, Chris wasn't in there.

I walked over to the door, opening it, and peeking out into the main area of the bus.

To my surprise, Chris was crying, and the boys surrounded him, Jonny placing a hand on his back comfortingly.

I started to close the door, hoping that they wouldn't see me.

But they did.

Chris quickly wiped his eyes, looking up at the ceiling. "Good morning, Aaliyah." He said, clearing his throat.

I opened the door, stepping out. "Good morning.." I Said quietly.

"Are you hungry?" He asked. "We have cereal."

I nodded a bit, and he stood up, walking over to the kitchen, and pulling a bowl out of the cupboard. He took a deep breath, most likely to compose himself, then went over and grabbed the cereal. I sat down on the couch, looking down at my feet.

Why had he been crying? Was something wrong?

He brought my cereal over to me, and I mumbled a 'thank you' as I took it.

I had a feeling that he knew that I saw him crying, but he was probably trying to pretend it hadn't happened.

I get it, I would do that, too.

It still worried me that he was crying, though. I just hoped he was okay. That everything was okay.

That night, we drove to the concert venue, and it was only an hour before the concert, so fans were already crowded outside.

Chris took me backstage, where he sat with me. "So, you'll stay here during the concert, okay?" He Asked.

I nodded.

"Do you need anything?" He Asked.

"I think I'm okay." I mumbled. "But Can I ask you something?"

"Of course, sweetie."

I bit my lip. "Why were you crying this morning?"

He sighed, looking down. "You saw that?" He Asked quietly.

I nodded. "Dad, are you Okay?"

His blue eyes filled with sadness, something that I hadn't seen much.

"I got a call." He said. "Your mum somehow got out of jail. She's suing me for custody.."

My face fell. "W-What?"

He swallowed. "I-I don't know what to do.." he said. "I don't wanna lose you."

"I don't wanna leave.." I Said, feeling tears stinging my eyes. "Are you going to fight her?"

He reached out, taking my hands. "I'll try my hardest." He said. "You're my life, Aaliyah. I love you."

"I love you, too." I Said, looking down.

He kissed me on the forehead, then stood.

He looked at me once more, before heading out to the stage and joining the rest of the band in setting up.