Chapter 7: Meeting The Band

After we finished breakfast, Chris had a meet and greet he had to get to.

"Would you like to come along?" He asked, as he slipped his rainbow sneakers on.

"Would...that be okay?" I asked.

"Of course!" He said. "The fans would love you."

"But...are you ready for...everyone to find out?"

He bit his lip. "You do make a point, news travels fast," he said. "But if you're ready for it, I'm ready for it."

I smiled. "I'm excited to meet the others!"

"Only Jonny knows, so I have to tell Will, Guy, And Phil." He said. "But they're also going to love you."

I went over and put on my shoes, slipping on a jacket. "Do I look okay?" I Asked.

"Perfect." He said, smiling at me.

The drive to the signing was mostly quiet, apart from Chris occasionally pointing out his favorite trees through the city, or asking the driver if we were there yet.

"Are we there yet?" He asked the driver again.

He just shook his head and laughed. "Not yet, Mr. Martin."

"Hey, What did I say?" Chris Asked. "Call me Chris."

"Whatever you say."

I laughed a little.

"What?" Chris Asked, looking at me and smiling.

"Nothing.." I Said. "I just...thank you for taking me in."

His smile got bigger, and he reached over and held my hand. "Thank you for letting me take you in."

"That makes no sense." I laughed a bit.

"Yes it does," he said. "Thank you for letting me take you in. I love you."

"I love you too, dad." I Said, then froze. "I-I mean Chris.."

"You can call me dad if you'd like.." he said.

I looked out the window, tears welling up in my eyes.

"Aaliyah.." he said. "Sweetie, what's wrong?"

"I...I just.." I stuttered, then broke into tears.

"Oh, come here.." he said, holding out his arms.

I hugged him, and laid my head on his chest, sobbing. "It's just...the last person I called dad.." I said. "He died...what if that happens to you?"

"Oh, honey.." he said, kissing me on the head. "I'm not going anywhere anytime soon."

"But you don't know that.." I Said.

"Aaliyah, I would never, ever leave you." He said. "Even for paradise."

I looked up at him, and he wiped the tears off my cheeks with his thumbs.

"I promise." He said, then kissed me on the nose.

There was a moment of silence between us, and soon, the car slowed down.

"We're here." The driver said, looking back and smiling.

People began to crowd around the car, taking pictures, and trying to open the doors.

Anxiety rose into my chest as I looked over at Chris.

"It's okay.." he said gently. "They won't hurt us."

"Then why are they here?" I Asked.

"Who?"

"The large men in suits."

He smiled a bit. "They're only here just in case something happens." He said. "So far, nothing has."

I nodded, swallowing uneasily as the car shook.

"Don't worry." He said. "I'll hold onto you, and we'll walk up to the building."

I just whimpered in response, and he wrapped his arms around me.

He opened the door, and helped me out, his arms still wrapped around me tightly.

People screamed, grabbed at us, and, since Most of the crowd had seen me when we drove up, they were asking who I was and trying to pull me away from Chris.

He kept his firm grip on me until we got into the building, where everything was completely silent.

"You okay?" Chris Asked, looking me over.

"I'm alright." I Said, then gasped when I saw his face. "You've got a cut on your cheek.."

"Don't worry, I'm okay." He said.

I looked back out at the crowd, and shuddered. "Who were they anyway?"

"Paparazzi.." he sighed. "Believe me, the actual fans are angels."

"Are they here?"

"You bet." He said. "Follow me."

He led me through the building, and we approached a back door, where through the window, I could see people lined up, excitedly waiting for Chris to show up.

Chris held my hand and we stepped outside together.

"Hey!" Chris Exclaimed.

The fans cheered as we walked over to the table at the beginning of the line, where Jonny, Will, and Guy sat.

"Chris!" Will Said. "Where were you?"

"We were held up a bit." He replied, sitting on a chair at the table, and pulling one up for me.

I sat, staring fidgeting with my hair a bit.

"Who's the young lady here?" Guy asked.

"Um.." Chris Said, looking up at Jonny and smiling. Jonny winked, and smiled back.

"Wait, Jonny knows?" Will Asked. "That's not fair!"

"The only reason Jonny knows is that he was there when I found out." Chris Said.

"Found What Out?" Guy asked.

Chris took a deep breath, and looked at me. "Guys, this is my daughter, Aaliyah."