Chapter 13: The Truth

Once we got home, Chris and I went into my room. We both sat on the bed cross legged, and Chris took a deep breath.

"So...the doctor told me there could be something that's causing your pain.." he said gently. "I need to talk to you about it, is that okay?"

I nodded, anxiety rising in my chest.

He looked down, taking a deep breath, before looking at me, his blue eyes full of concern. "Were you...hurt by anybody?" He Asked, almost hesitantly.

"What do you mean?" I Asked.

I had to stall for as long as possible. I didn't want to answer. I didn't want to remember it.

He swallowed. "Did they beat you?" He Asked, his voice hardly above a whisper.

It hurt him to even ask, didn't it? He hated the thought of it. I couldn't answer his question truthfully and have him not be heartbroken. And I didn't want to think of me differently.

I looked down, my eyes filling with tears.

The only way to get it done with was to just tell him.

I took a deep, shaky breath. "I-it was my mum and her boyfriend." I Said, a few tears streaming down my face. "They beat me nearly every day ever since I was five.."

Chris's face fell, and his eyes immediately began to fill with tears. "Five?" He asked, his voice breaking. "T-that's terrible.."

"I-I'd be covered In bruises all the time.." I sobbed. "Sometimes I couldn't even stand. The last day they did it was right before my mum killed him..."

I began sobbing loudly, and Chris wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into a hug, I laid my head on his shoulder, burying my head in his shirt as I cried.

"I'm sorry.." he said. "I'm so sorry..."

I could tell by his voice, and the fact that I kept feeling his tears fall on me, that he was crying.

For minutes it was silent, except for the sounds of my sobs.

I don't think he knew what to say, or do now. He just hugged me tightly, I think to let me know I was loved, and safe.

Which was really all I needed to feel.

And with him, I did feel loved.

The two of us just sat there like that, Chris holding me in his arms.

"I love you." He said quietly. "I promise, you're safe now."