Chapter Fifty-Eight

I woke up peaceful and relaxed in Rev's arms. That certainly wasn't how I went to bed. I hadn't even considered calling him because I knew he could read me and would know I was upset. I had needed him, though, and now he was here...an answered prayer.

He was breathing deeply still. I wasn't sure what time he got in but I knew it was the middle of the night.

The sun was shining in my room and I'd guess it was around seven. I really had to pee but I also knew he would wake the second I tried to get up, so I relaxed and willed myself to lay there still and silent for as long as possible.

Finally, my bladder was cramping so badly, I had to get up. Of course he stirred and moved his arm off of me as soon as he felt me moving. I sat up and moved to kiss his head, but froze in horror.

"What the fuck happened to your face?!?", I gasped. His forehead into his left temple was swollen, green, purple, and blue. Both eyes were black and purple, the left much worse than the right with a gash across the cheekbone, as well.

"Go to the bathroom", he grumbled, rolling over and not even opening his eyes.

I noticed his knuckles were also scraped and bruised on both hands. Clearly, he had been in a fight. I had never seen a mark on Rev's face before.

Those guys must have been good to actually get close enough to get his face, I thought with a shiver for the danger my man had been in. He hadn't been back in Texas yet, though. He said he was on his way.

So who was he fighting with?

I climbed back into bed and he stretched and opened his eyes.

"Hello, gorgeous", he said.

"What happened to your face?", I repeated.

"How's about you tell me what happened to yours first", he said, reaching for my chin and gently moving my face one direction then the other. I had washed my face before bed and had zero makeup covering the bruising. I felt my cheeks starting to burn as I prepared for my lie.

He looked into my eyes. "Don't you think about lying to me, love. What happened to your face?" 

I felt my lower lip trembling and bit it. He'd know if I was lying but if I told him the truth he was going to kill Brad. I was pretty sure he would actually kill him. Dead.

He waited, staring into my eyes.

I felt myself tear up. I couldn't tell him. I shook my head no.

His face softened. "Brad grabbed your face like this, yeah?", he asked, moving his hand from my chin to hold my face like Brad had, but gently.

A tear tricked down my cheek and after a moment I nodded.

Rev kissed my forehead and wrapped his arms around me.

He's gonna kill Brad. He's gonna kill Brad, I kept thinking as tears slowly dripped down my face.

"Sit up, love", he said quietly.

I shook my head no.

He was going to look for more marks.

"Sweetheart", he said quietly, but in a tone I knew to mean that he wasn't going to drop it and could make me do it but he'd rather I cooperate.

I sat up and he sat up with me. I couldn't see because I was so blinded by tears.

"Shirt off", he said. I felt myself start to shake.

I shook my head no.

"Love", he said quietly.

I started crying harder and shook my head no again.