Chapter One

I was getting ready to go help my friend, Bre, find her wedding dress and attire for everyone in the wedding.  Bre was probably my best friend, because she was my only friend, other than my sister-in-law, Kendra. She was getting married to my ex-fiancé and father of my deceased baby.

Was it weird?  Nope.

Well...yeah, actually it was, but only if I dwelled on it. Mostly I lived in the moment a lot more now, since Drew had died and I tried killing myself. I enjoyed both Bre's and Steve's company, and I took an immense amount of comfort from Steve, being that he was the only other person on earth who loved Drew as much as I did.  I also owed both of them my life, a couple times over.

So, when they asked me to sing in their wedding, I readily agreed, even though this would be the first time I had sang in public since Jay used me as his entertainment.

Jay was another ex-fiancé. Dangerous, powerful, and abusive in every way possible.

I checked myself over. I had gained some weight back since my six week stint in a mental institution, after having a miscarriage and an emergency hysterectomy, which triggered the attempted suicide that landed me there. I was spending time working out, strength training, and practicing self defense. I just ended one self defense class and was starting a class on taekwondo.  I had gained a ton of muscle overall. I'd always been petite and toned, but never muscular. Since I'd gotten my head right, I cared more about being strong than about the way I looked.

I had on a hot pink short sleeve blouse and dark blue ripped up skinny jeans. I had my long, thick, curly hair wrapped into a low bun, and had just finished my makeup. I added the opal earrings my brother gave me for Christmas, but didn't bother with any other jewelry.

I headed downstairs to tell Brad I was leaving. He was just coming in from the garage where he was doing something (I had no idea what) to his motorcycle. Brad was tall, chiseled, and gorgeous, with a classic bad boy demeanor, but he really was a kind and loving man.  He had dark wavy hair, which was short enough to be called short, but long enough to be tousled. He wore slight sideburns and always had some semblance of a mustache and facial hair, which contrasted beautifully against his pale skin and icy blue eyes. He had a chin dimple and a permanent furrow between thick brown eyebrows. He wore a perpetually pissed off expression ninety percent of the time, even when he wasn't, but he usually smiled when he looked at me.

"Hey, beautiful", he greeted me in his calm, deep voice, smiling his approval.

"Do you think I look okay?", I asked nervously.  "I want to fit in".

I hadn't met Bre's three sisters, their mother, or their grandma, but Bre was tall, beautiful, and perfectly polished always. I could only assume they would be similar, and they would all be there, meeting me for the first time.

"Baby, what are you worried about?", Brad asked, looking concerned. "Bre already loves you. You're there for her, not them".

"I know, but I want them to like me so nothing feels awkward for her. I could never forgive myself if I had anything to do with their wedding not being perfect!"

Brad smiled and reached for me, but I stepped back.

"No way, you don't look clean".

He continued smiling, unphased. "Baby, I don't think there's anyone who's ever not liked you. Of all the people on this planet who have the most reason not to like you, it's Bre. And she loves you, so stop worrying".

"Right, but her family probably wants to protect her from me. I know I would".

Brad chuckled. "Paige, please stop. Take some deep breaths and go. I know you're going to be fine".