Chapter Forty-Two

We were sitting outside the courtroom at Brad's scheduled time. I was a sweaty bundle of nerves and felt like puking. Scott, Andy, Brad, and I were all there.

The current session ended and we stepped in as the people before us left.

The judge was stern looking but seemed a lot kinder than he appeared. He asked Brad a lot of questions, and since I was present, he talked with me also.

"I have reviewed all the reports", he finally concluded. "I took into account your relationship with the victim, her history with this man, and his background, as well. What my perspective was prior to talking to the two of you has been reinforced. I am dropping these charges against you. I see this as self defense for a third party, meaning you were trying to help your girlfriend escape from a man who had kidnapped her and previously attempted to murder her. I see no reason for this to go any further".

I was so relieved I started crying and thanked the Judge profusely, throwing my arms around Brad's neck and squeezing him tightly.

"I knew it was going to be okay, baby", Brad said confidently, grinning at me.

"I didn't", I said. "Jay has been dragging me down for five years. I'm always expecting the worst if he's been involved".

Brad gave me a sad smile and kissed my forehead.

"We need to get back to work, sweetheart", Andy told me. "But celebrating tonight? Supper? Yes?"

"Yeah, that would be-".

"Call Kendra. Find out where and when then make the reservations, will ya sweetheart?", he asked, already walking down the hall.

"He's my ride", Brad said, grabbing my hand and pulling me along.

"Where do you want to go?", I asked.

"Anywhere with you, baby", he said, giving me a wink and making me melt. "Can you see if Bre and Steve want to go, too?"

"Absolutely", I said. "They were part of this".

"I know", Brad said, "make reservations for that Italian place Andy likes".

"Oh, good idea", I said.

...........................................................................

At lunchtime, Brad gave me a call.

"Baby, your ring is done. You need to try it on, inspect it, and bring it home if there's no concerns".

"YAY!", I squealed, and he chuckled.

I drove directly to the jewelry store, tried on the ring, fell in love with it, and never wanted to take it off. However, I allowed them to put it in a box and a bag for me, and headed on back home to exercise and clean.

...........................................................................

"Hey, beautiful", Brad greeted his stunning bride-to-be as he stepped in through the garage door. She was wearing an emerald colored sweater with an emerald, brown, and navy blue decorative scarf around her neck. She had her hair in a thick french braid and her dark jeans hugged her curves like they had been cut for her body alone.

He kissed her with the passion he felt, not letting go when she started to pull away, but yanking her body up against his instead.

He felt her lips smile against his and she turned her face away.

"I've got reservations for six", she said.

"I won't mess up your hair", he whispered in her ear. "You know we have time".