Chapter Twenty Six

Rev met up with Clint Friday morning. They had a couple details to work out but both felt really solid about their plans.

"This recording is going to be exactly what we need for upper level support", Clint said. "Excellent work, man".

As Clint was packing everything into his truck, he asked, "How's the Paige situation?"

"The asshole kicked her out for talking to me so she's currently all mine. I don't know if that's permanent or not, though. She said she preferred to be with me, but I don't see how this can be her life right now, so I'm just enjoying the time we have".

"That's great, man", Clint said, slamming the trunk closed.

"He left bruises on her. For the second time", Rev growled.

Clint shook his head. "Moron. You kick his ass?"

"Yep".

"Good".

"Hey, can you do something for me?", Rev asked, acting on sudden instinct. "Can you take her number and make sure she's taken care of if anything happens?"

"Nothing's gonna happen, man", Clint said, "but yeah. Of course". He pulled his phone out and entered her number as Rev rattled it off. "I'll take care of it", he promised.

...........................................................................

Steve and Bre decided that Steve would call Paige to determine what was going on, and that they wouldn't say anything about the baby until they knew more. Steve was initially shocked and defensive about the possibility of Paige cheating, but when Bre gently reminded him how she had cheated on him with Brad, his stomach sank and he realized it could be true.

Friday morning Steve made the call sitting at the island with Bre over his shoulder.

"Steve!", she answered enthusiastically. "How was Colorado?"

"It was beautiful and relaxin'. How have ya been, hun?"

"Pretty good", she said but there was a catch in her voice.

"Oh yeah, whatcha been up to?", he asked, meeting his wife's eyes.

"Well, Bre's Uncle Mike is trying to find me a songwriter so I can sing their songs".

"No kiddin'! That's amazin', Paigie! Where will you need to go for that?"

"No idea but it will definitely involve travel".

"You'll be fantastic!", he said. "What did Brad say?"

There was a long pause at the other end.

"Hun?"

When she spoke again, her voice was tense. "Steve, I don't want to talk to you about all this. I don't want you getting mad at Brad, or thinking badly of me".

"I can't promise either thing, hun, but I care aboutcha and I wanna know if somethin' is wrong".

There was another long pause.

"Hun, I'll love ya no matter what", he said, feeling nervous. "Tell me what's wrong".

"I was with Rev when I talked to Mike, so I ran everything past him right away because he was sitting right there. He gave me advice and encouraged me to do what I preferred, which is performing. He said he could eventually travel with me and be my bodyguard. When Brad got home, he didn't want to hear about any of it. He kept brushing me off. I finally made him listen and then he lost his temper because I had already discussed everything with Rev".