Chapter Fifteen

Brad decided to take off work a couple hours early Friday to spend time with me before spending the evening with Steve and the other guys. Rev left around three and Brad arrived just a few minutes later.

"Oh, finally", Brad said, stretching his arms out for me. "Some alone time!"

I threw myself into those arms with enthusiasm. Gosh, I was struggling with Rev. Logically, it made no sense, but I couldn't hold back the feelings when we were alone together. When I was with Brad, though, everything felt right. It felt calm and normal, and I was as in love with him as I had always been.

Brad smothered me with kisses, then carried me upstairs. An hour later, we were still laying in bed, my head on his bare chest.

"I love you", I said, looking up into his face.

"Love you, baby", he said, stroking my hair.

...........................................................................

"Rev's running late", Brad said, scowling at his phone. "He thinks he'll be here by five thirty".

"Why is that a big deal?", I asked. "Why do I suddenly need twenty-four hour surveillance?"

The creepy guy in the corn must have rattled Brad. He wasn't normally so overprotective.

"You don't", he said quickly. "It's not a big deal. Rev just irritates me". He sighed and kissed me on the forehead. "Stay here. Let me know when he arrives. Set the alarm behind me".

"I will", I promised, and did what he said after he left.

I started thinking about what Rev and I could eat for supper and decided to order something for us. I knew he liked Chinese food, so I looked up a downtown restaurant's menu. I called and placed a pick up order for five fifteen, hoping it would still be warm when he got here.

I changed out laundry downstairs, touched up my makeup and hair, ensuring my cut was hidden, and feeling guilty about trying to look nice for Rev. I set the alarm for leaving and popped out the garage door.

...........................................................................

Rev was discreetly hovering at the back of the rear parking ramp for the court house. He was dressed in all black, had on his black motorcycle helmet, and was riding his motorcycle. He had taken care to cover the license plate and was also wearing black leather gloves.

He saw his target emerge, an overweight, pasty-faced bald man, who got into the back of a black SUV. As the vehicle left the ramp, Rev followed it at a distance, all the way out of town to a seedy strip club, where the vehicle parked, and he parked right next to it.

As the driver started to open his door, Rev dismounted and shot him in the head with a silencer in one fluid motion. Then he kicked the driver's door shut, and opened the back door mere seconds later. A bodyguard lunged at him from the backseat with a knife. Rev briefly struggled with him before shooting him in the chest. He shoved him back into the vehicle and immediately shot the whimpering man on the seat next to him in the head.

He glanced around the vehicle. No one else and nothing of importance that he could see. He snatched the man's briefcase off the floor and quickly rifled through it. Nothing relevant. He tossed it on the floor, grabbed the knife, dropped it into his side pocket, and took off. The entire incident had taken him seven minutes with only one minor complication.

He had been stabbed.

After he was back to town, he pulled over onto a side road and checked the time. It was quarter to five. He could make it back before Brad left but he wasn't entirely sure he could trust Brad. The less people that knew anything, the better, and he knew he could trust Paige.