Chapter Nine

Monday morning Brad drove his motorcycle in to work. Before he went inside, he tried calling Rev.  He answered on the second ring.

"Hello?"  He sounded gruff, suspicious, and pissed off.

"This is Brad Davis. Is this Rev?"

Somehow, Brad knew if he didn't give his name first, Rev certainly wouldn't be answering whether or not it was indeed him on the other end.

"Yeah, Brad. Hi", Rev answered, sounding friendlier. "We should talk in person, yeah? When's a good time?"

"I was planning on taking my lunch break around noon today but I'm flexible", Brad replied.

"That works". Rev gave him the name of a bar restaurant and Brad knew where it was. He had driven past it a few times.  It was about fifteen minutes from the office so he assumed his lunch would probably run long. He knew Andy wouldn't care, especially due to the reason why.

"See you then", he said, and hung up.

Just a few hours left till I can find out what the fuck is going on.

Brad tucked his helmet under his arm and started loping toward the building.

...........................................................................

Steve got up for work Monday feeling like a brand new man. He couldn't be happier to be sleeping in the same bed with Bre, to not have to curb himself every time he kissed her so they didn't go too far, to hold her, to touch her, to see her naked. He was completely focused on her, and had been able to push Paige from his mind for a full day.

He had a hard time leaving for work. He wanted to stay home and continue to spend time with his fiancé in this new way. He felt like he was on his honeymoon already.  As he drove down the driveway, he was counting the hours until he would be back.

...........................................................................

I got up and started my morning with Brad as usual, except my stomach was still a little unsettled. I ate what I could, refrained from coffee for the second day in a row, and kissed him goodbye. I did pilates and lifted weights, did devotionals, sang while I got ready, and headed to the animal shelter.

Kate was glowing and excited about Marcus. I felt like she was already in love with him but I wasn't going to tell her that. I would have never believed it could happen that quickly if it hadn't happened to me, too.

As I was heading home to prep supper for Brad, and get ready for taekwondo class, I had an inspired thought. I wondered if Rev would work with me. He was one of the most skilled fighters in the world. Who better to learn from than someone who had practiced in real life rather than in a studio?  I knew full well I would have to run it past Brad first. He might not like me spending time with him. In fact, I got the impression Brad really didn't like him at all. I sighed. I hoped that would change after they talked, and I really hoped it wasn't anything about Jay.

...........................................................................

Brad walked into the bar with his helmet under his arm. He let his eyes adjust to the dim light, and then noticed Rev beckoning to him from a booth off to the right corner from the door.

Brad sauntered over and slid in the booth.

"You want some food?", Rev asked.

"Am I going to be able to eat after what you have to say?", Brad asked.

"You might want a drink instead", Rev agreed. "You drink, don't ya?"

"Whiskey straight", Brad replied.