Chapter Sixteen

Rev hung around until Monday. He kept busy checking in with contacts, playing at lying low, exercising and training.  Any time he wasn't focused on the case, he thought about Paige.

He texted Brad Monday morning- Everything going ok?

Brad replied mid-morning- We're fine.

Rev would have contacted Paige directly, but the less documented contact he had with her, the less likely she would be in danger if anything went sideways with him.

Clint called him at noon.

"Blade's not talking. We've got people negotiating with him but so far he hasn't budged. Says he'll be dead otherwise so he'll take the time".

"FUCK!", Rev shouted, nearly smashing his phone through a wall, but stopping at the last minute. "Keep working on him", Rev said.

"We are, man. I'll call you if there's any change, otherwise I'll check in with ya in a couple days".

"Fine. I'm heading out of town then".

"The girl?", Clint asked, sounding smug.

"Forget what you think you know about her", Rev said quietly. "There's no connection to me. Got it?"

"Woah, man, it's me you're talking to. I'm not gossiping about your personal life".

"You better not be. If one hair on her head gets damaged, anyone involved is going to die a very slow, painful death".

"Point taken", Clint said, sounding offended.

If someone thought they could get at Rev through Paige, they would do it. He had made a lot of enemies through the years, and the very last thing he needed to worry about on top of everything else was someone snatching her for revenge on him.  After a moment's consideration, he changed her name to Molly in his phone. An extra step just in case. If anyone dug hard enough, they could still figure out who she was, though.

He packed his duffel, loaded his cycle into the truck bed, and took off. When he was two hours away, he called Brad.

He didn't answer so Rev left a message that he was heading back to town.

He pulled up at Paige's house at four. He wasn't sure if she would be there but he went up to the front door and knocked.

He saw a flicker of curtain at the front window.

Good girl, he thought, but then he had to wait longer than he thought would be necessary for her to open the door.

When she opened it, he realized why. She had clearly been crying and was trying to pull herself together so he wouldn't notice.

He stepped in and closed the door behind him, dropping his duffel bag on the floor.

"Hi", she said, not making eye contact, turning and heading for the kitchen. He kicked off his shoes and quickly followed her, hovering at her side as she turned on the water in the sink.

"What's wrong?", he asked.

"Nothing", she said, looking down and putting a plug in the drain.