Chapter Thirty-Nine

Monday morning we recorded Sam's song. It took several takes before we were satisfied, and then we needed to wait for Rafe's approval. I was looking through Sam's songs. He still seemed nervous about the others hearing them so I flipped through until I landed on another that resonated with me, and then I asked the others if they could give us ten minutes.

Clay walked out immediately without comment, but Jake got super offended and Tommy didn't move.

"Why does it need to go past Paige first?", Jake snapped.

"Because he's shy about you guys not liking them, and if I'm singing the song anyway, we should see if we like it that way before showing you. The more confidence he gets in his abilities, the more he will share. Don't make him even more self-conscious...please", I said, looking at both of them while Sam ducked his head and said nothing.

"Come on, Jake", Tommy said, acknowledging that I was correct in my assessment.

I pulled out a song called 'Say It With Your Kiss'.  "Okay, Sam, play me this one".

He ran through it.

"I like it...but could we try it faster?"  I sang a few bars and showed him what I was thinking. "If we get a heavy drum beat in there, too?"

He nodded. "You wanna try singing it this round?", he asked.

"Yeah".

Sam picked up the tempo and I ran through it but wasn't pleased with how I sounded.

"Something's not clicking", I said, frowning.

"Can you go more alto?", he asked. "And where could you add some powerful notes?  That's what you're known for".

I nodded, looking. He handed me a pencil from his guitar case. I made a couple notes.

"Okay, go", I told him.

We ran through it once more and were still doing it when Rafe walked into the control room. The other guys trooped in the live room.

"You wanna hear what we just did?", I asked Rafe. He gave me two thumbs up.

I looked at the other three. Tommy nodded.

Sam and I ran through it again.

"Yes!", Tommy said. "And if we add a heavy drum beat-".

"That's exactly what I said!", I exclaimed.

"That's great!", Rafe said from the booth. "Let me listen to your recording and then you can get to work on this one. Any others?"

I shook my head no.

"I've got gigs for you Wednesday, Thursday, Friday this week, Friday and Saturday next week....and next Saturday you open for a big name!", he said grinning.

"Who?!?", Jake asked.

When he told us, I leapt to my feet from the floor, jumping up and down and screaming along with Jake, who threw his arms around me and kissed me repeatedly on the cheek.

"Holy shit", Sam said.

It was literally one of my favorite male country artists with tons of number one singles and albums. He was well-versed in the industry, had been famous for probably seven years, and had a new, fun, almost hip hop feel to his country.

"I cannot believe it!!!", I squealed, rushing out of the room and into the control room, where I hugged Rafe fiercely as he laughed. "You are the best!!!", I said.

"Yes, yes", he laughed. "Back to work now".

I was crazy excited but a little disappointed. I wouldn't be able to go home until Saturday.  Three hours later, when we were done at the studio, I texted Brad on our way to lunch and asked him to call when he could.