Our Love Will Be Remembered... (Ch 21)

OUR LOVE WILL BE REMEMBERED...

Chapter 21

It didn’t take two weeks of coming back for my aunt to call me.

She had found a new child and she was in a very bad shape so she wanted me to come over as quick as I could to check her, since I was studying to be a paramedic and all.

I agreed, of course, and drove to her mountain house.

The truth was I was trying as hard as I could to get Maria out of my head, anyway I could, and if it meant helping my aunt then so be it. The nightmares were scaring me and I needed a distraction. I needed to think about anything but the women I had loved.

Because how was I supposed to find someone better now? Because I was sure Maria had been the summit. Her name had been Maria and she had been a nun! How could you find a nun these days? And a nun named Maria! A young beautiful nun! With vows and shyness and guileless? How could I find anyone better than her? How could I simply find someone like her?

And how could I go on, finding other women to love if I knew they would join the others in my dreams?

When I arrived my aunt quickly greeted me and immediately rushed me to her new care. “What took you so long” were her preferred words.

I thought her impatience was from her normal behavior but when I stepped into the room, where she had put the child, I immediately understood her attitude.

The child was a girl, she didn’t look older than fifteen years old, dirty blond hair, or maybe it was pale brown, either way it was a washed off color, just with how prominent her cheekbones were I could tell she was probably unhealthily skinny, her eyes that opened now and then had a washed off green close to grey taint, everything about her was just that; washed off.

Poor child.

And after doing a quick check up I could affirm she was in bad shape, there was no denying in that. Contusions everywhere on her skin, cuts and scrapes, fever and infections, sprain muscles, possible broken ribs, at least two fingers were, and I wouldn’t be surprised she had a small concoction either.   

Taking care of her I suddenly felt better about myself. I at least never let anyone in such bad shape alone and broken. Though my mind was telling me that it was not even an argument to put on the table seeing I was taking their lives.

My aunt tended to the young boy that was still living with her while I took care of the girl. It was a nice change to be helping someone instead of thinking of the best way to kill her.

Still, I tried to think as less as possible about my killing deeds but at a certain moment it when crashing back into my face.

“Please, just do it, kill me. Kill me but please leave me alone,” the girl wept at one point. Those were the only words she uttered. And she obviously wasn’t conscious that she was saying them.

But they took me by surprise. In many ways. Because even though the woman before me was begging for death, I couldn’t feel less concerned about her demands.

Was it ironic that I felt less inclined to take someone life when she begged for me to do so?

At least it proved to me that I wasn’t killing simply for killing but still for my noble reason of conserving the perfection of love.

I did not love the young girl before me and so her death did not matter to me.

After a few hours I was done and the girl was sleeping.

I went to find my aunt, and played a bit with the boy she took care of, while all I really wanted was to ask my aunt why she hadn’t took the young girl to the hospital. It would have been the logical way to act.

“Her father’s a police officer, and a powerful one at it. He’s the one who did this… If I had taken her at any hospital he would have found her, taken her back and beat her more.”

I nodded sadly, thinking that I wasn’t the only monster out there.

“What’s her name,” I suddenly asked, out of curiosity.

“Juliet.”